PDA

View Full Version : Turnover rate in a fowlr

Sta.61FF
02/28/2011, 04:50 PM
Is there really an ideal turnover rate for a fowlr or should i just have enough to keep the tank from having dead spots?

Recty
02/28/2011, 05:33 PM
I basically go for as much flow as I can. Very few fish cant handle high flow. Most fish seem to enjoy it.

High flow helps so many things, it keeps the tank well oxygenated and evenly heated plus it just gives the fish some activity. In essence, it's almost like the more flow you add, the bigger the tank is. If you had a totally stagnant tank, a fish could swish it's tail and cruise across the whole tank in 2 seconds, whereas if you have lots of flow and turbulence, the fish actually has to SWIM across the tank, it keeps them active and imo healthier and "happier" if there is such a thing in fish.

Sta.61FF
02/28/2011, 05:45 PM
ok yea atm i think i have about 3000 gph flowing in my tank, i did realize that when i added my evo 1400 my tangs seemed to love the high flow....i think i might try to up the flow to maybe 4500-5000

Recty
02/28/2011, 05:58 PM
If Koralia rates their powerheads correctly, I had about 8000 GPH turnover in my 210g and no fish looked even remotely like it was too much.

Sta.61FF
02/28/2011, 06:12 PM
oh wow lol i thought the flow i had now seemed a little strong, guess i should amp up the flow rate in my tank......now that i think about it some of my rock have debris on it i guess cause of my low flow rate....at the moment i have all the powerheads on one side creating a circular flow pattern

Recty
02/28/2011, 07:09 PM
I dont know if you've ever swam in the ocean or not near a reef, but it is certainly not just a one way laminar flow. It goes back and forth and over and under and is turbulent, so try to replicate that in your aquarium. Place powerheads on each side of the tank and aim them at each other, that way there isnt just a steady current pulling through your tank but instead a turbulent mess that the fish can swim through and keep them on their toes, so to speak.

They handle it surprisingly well, I had four Koralia 4's and two 3's in my tank, plus my large return pump and and no fish at all even acted like it was having issues swimming, plus for the most part they never even looked like they were getting blown around. I would feed and be able to tell from watching the food that the water was getting mixed well, but the fish go right on through it like it's pretty calm.

Anyway, that's my recommendation, do with it what you will. I try to always replicate the way the ocean behaves, whereas the way you have it set up is more like living in a river.