PDA

View Full Version : stocking options for 300 gallons tank

ptan
03/01/2011, 07:27 AM
i have a typical 300 gallons tank (6'Lx3'Wx2'H) tank. i currently have 3 big fish.

Here are my fishes:

1 CBB (the first inhabitant of the tank) that is around 8 months already in my tank.
1 Yellow Tang around 3 inches
1 Purple Tang around 3 inches
10 Assorted anthias
1 banggai cardinal
1 purple tilefish
1 blenny

my question is can i still add more tangs in my tank? I have a powder blue in qt...

Planning to add a pbt into the mix and later on add another tang... im tempted to add a sohal or a achilles into the mix... what you guys think?

will the sohal fit into tank as the last fish to add? thanks everyone.

Eric the half-bee
03/01/2011, 08:22 AM
Ptan, IME, you have room for addl tangs. I'm assuming lots of rockwork to provide hiding places? Look at the sticky for tank recs. R/T tangs. A sohal is a literal handful of a fish and are big swimmers. They love to go back and forth often and you might be OK but in time, the Sohal can take over a tank to be the HBIC and get mean.

twon8
03/01/2011, 09:21 AM
I wouldn't put two Acanthurus in the same tank and since you already have the powder blue, unless the yellow and purple kill him when you put him in I'd say you are set. You could try a regal blue or a bristletooth.

geaux xman
03/01/2011, 09:23 AM
the achilles will give you a lot of headache and break your heart. very hard to care for fish, that could end up taking everything with it.

29reef
03/01/2011, 02:15 PM
the achilles will give you a lot of headache and break your heart. very hard to care for fish, that could end up taking everything with it.

Hmmm interesting, I generally think about Achilles killing other tangs and being a nasty sob; same for the powder blue. I like the bristle tooth tangs. I think a mimic tang and a chevron would be great additions to your fish list. They likely would get along with everyone you have already. I would stay away from any tang that gets big.

ptan
03/01/2011, 04:10 PM
thank guys for the tips and suggestion. I think achilles will be a heart breaker in the long run. I just read that its likely impossible to keep achilles in the long run in an aquarium. Will try to add bristletooth instead... thanks again guys. i hope my powder blue will be able to adjust to its new home after the qt. thanks again.

Cahooligan
03/01/2011, 04:27 PM
from what ive heard, sohal, achilles and powder blue are all really aggressive. idk anything about leiutenant tangs(acanthurus tennenti) but i think theyre a gorgeous fish that is often overlooked, but there might be a reason why. otherwise alot of smaller tangs are nice, but imo just not as colorful. how about a sailfin tang? other than the fact they are also zebrasoma sp. there are many possibilities. just some thoughts.