PDA

View Full Version : DIY Canopy

njw26
03/01/2011, 08:20 PM
Ok so i picked up a DIY canopy for my 55 gallon mixed tank i have a 4x54watt t-5 fixture that i want to mount inside this canopy. Only problem i'm seeing in airflow. how hot to t-5 actually get i know they dont get as hot as halides or led's but do they run as cool as a normal fluorescent or are they more like an incandescent bulb?

gweston
03/02/2011, 11:13 AM
An 80mm fan, one on each side blowing in would be more than enough. There should be some way for the air to exit. If the canopy is open back. You are fine. If not, you may want to drill some vent holes... either in the back, on the top, or both. It doesn't take all that much.

For an 80mm fan, you can use a 3" hole saw from the hardware store. A 3" hole is perfect for an 80mm fan. Enough for the fan, and leaves just enough material around the outside to screw the fan into the wood.

Note, the ballast you run can affect how hot your bulbs get. T5HO running at spec doesn't necessarily need active cooling. But it is helpful. If you run an IceCap660, for example, which overdrives the bulbs.. you NEED to cool the bulbs.

You could have a fan blow out, but not really necessary. Also fans blowing out are exposed to salty air and can fail early. The fans cooler clean air in will run more reliably. Unless you get a more expensive fan rec'd for saltwater tank use. There are some out there and they run upwards of $50 for a single fan and plug.

A decent quiet (~20db 80mm fan) can be found for around $10 or less.