PDA

View Full Version : Battling Green Hair Algae (GHA)

Texanjordan
03/02/2011, 10:57 AM
I am currently batteling a GHA problem that I need help with. First off Im not sure what my params are, but my nitrate should be near zero, I have two reactors one running carbon and one running feric oxide to remove phosphates, I am using filter socks which I change weekly, and I do a 7.6% water change weekly. I have a tux urchin and a bunch of snails and crabs as my CUC. I cant seem to stop the GHA and I need help! BTY my skimmer died a few months ago, and I dont have one running at this time. I have one on order and it should get her today hopefully. Im sure this will help things tremendiously. What can I do to get rid of this blasted algae!?! I also changed tanks a few months ago, and transferd my sand bed, I think this set off a mini cycle and I am also batteling diatoms both brown and green on the glass. Im sure that this will also be fixed by a skimmer. Any thoughts or ideas will help, thank you.

masonicman
03/02/2011, 11:30 AM
Yes you def need to get that PS up and running as soon as you get it. The most important factors affecting algae growth are light, oxygen, temperature and nutrients (e.g., phosphates, silicates, iron, dissolved organic compounds. Check your phosphate levels. How old are you bulbs? What's your temp? What type of water do you use. Do you have a fuge?

chuckreef
03/02/2011, 11:35 AM
You ned tto start with your water source.
Tell us about that.

Texanjordan
03/02/2011, 12:52 PM
for my water source I use RODI from a unit I purchased and have been in use since mid Jan I make about 10 to 15 gallons a week. I do a 5 gallon water change weekly, my lights were upgraded mid january from PC lights to a 6 bulb T5 HO fixture that was brand new. My temp is around 77-78 and I dont use a fuge, I use a sump with a bio bag that is changed weekly, and in my sump i am runnigng ferric oxide and carbon both in reactors. The skimmer that i purchased that i should get today (hopefully) is a AquaC EV120 protein skimmer rated up to 150 gallons being pushed by a rio 2100 pump.