PDA

View Full Version : Orange spotted mantis: Destructive collection practices

Peter T
03/02/2011, 04:15 PM
I have been meaning to post this for awhile now, but haven't really had the time. I originally meant to post this with other commonly available mantis shrimps that may be better off left in the ocean for various reasons, but nothing really comes to mind other than g. ternatensis.

Anyways, I just wanted to start this thread to make people aware that many g. ternatensis are collected using destructive methods to live corals. I think it would be better for coral reefs if we did not purchase a g. ternatensis and opted to buy another species. Collectors will not collect something they make no money off of. This is probably a losing battle and I know there have been other threads stating this, but I believe if I start a thread like STATING it in the title, more people would learn of the fact before they purchased one. If I had known about this, I would of bought a g. smithii or o. havanensis instead.

If I come off as condescending or as a crazy conservationalist (Snorkel Bob comes to mind), I apologize. That is not and will never be my intent. Trying to play my part in conserving the hobby for the years to come! But, if you guys do have an orange spotted mantis and have questions, I will be more than happy to help you with what little I do know. Thanks for reading :)

lionbacker54
03/02/2011, 06:05 PM
you do not come off as condescending at all. this is a very important issue you raise, and something we all try to mention whenever someone mentions their desire to get a ternatensis. roy, koshmar, and justinl all regularly pipe up about it. i support your post.

ritter6788
03/02/2011, 06:45 PM
i support your post.

Me too! I wouldn't knowingly purchase any species that are collected with cyanide either. I don't know that this practice takes place but Dr. Roy made a statement about possible cyanide collection of O. scyllarus in another thread. I've become a big fan of N. wennerae mainly because of how easily they are collected in live rock.

Peter T
03/02/2011, 06:50 PM
Thank you guys. Yeah I definitely would not want to purchase something that was collected with cyanide.

kovuu86
03/03/2011, 10:54 AM
wish i had known this prior to yesterday. bought a new little guy about 2 1/2" yesterday from the lfs. ran home acclimated him, and scoured Dr Roys list for an id. turns out it matches the id of g.ternatensis; red intersementing lines, blue tips all over, and orange meral spots.

kovuu86
03/03/2011, 10:59 AM
also, wouldnt the collectors actually make more money by collecting the branching corals that these mantis hide in, rather than the actual mantis itself? which makes me wonder maybe they are actually collecting the coral in the first place, and happen to end up with a mantis?

Peter T
03/03/2011, 12:38 PM
wish i had known this prior to yesterday. bought a new little guy about 2 1/2" yesterday from the lfs. ran home acclimated him, and scoured Dr Roys list for an id. turns out it matches the id of g.ternatensis; red intersementing lines, blue tips all over, and orange meral spots.

I think that is the case with most of us that end up buying them. Hence the reason I started this thread with the title it has. It should hopefully catch people's attention before they buy this species of stomatopod.

also, wouldnt the collectors actually make more money by collecting the branching corals that these mantis hide in, rather than the actual mantis itself? which makes me wonder maybe they are actually collecting the coral in the first place, and happen to end up with a mantis?

It would make sense. However, if this were the case I do not think that the issue of g. ternatensis' collection methods would be raised as it sounds like they are specifically targeting the g. ternatensis.

But, considering I forgot to post the links yesterday, here are some links providing some evidence. Most of us who frequent this forum already know this, but for those of you who do not know, Dr. Caldwell's user name is Gonodactylus in the forums and in the links provided. (He is the one that did all the studies and research, not me by the way. :))

Post #7: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1851690
Post #4: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1259588
Post #10: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1971018
And in "Suitability for the Aquarium:"
http://www.ucmp.berkeley.edu/arthropoda/crustacea/malacostraca/eumalacostraca/royslist/species.php?name=g_ternatensis