PDA

View Full Version : 10 watt led????

Waylander
03/04/2011, 04:44 PM
http://cgi.ebay.com/LED-Lamp-Bulb-Light-800LM-10W-Aquarium-Fish-Tank-/220744396445?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3365642e9d

Exactly what am I looking at here?

nanojg
03/04/2011, 04:48 PM
something that has to be too good to be true right?

Waylander
03/04/2011, 04:56 PM
I would thinks so. That would need a serious heat sink. Did they mean 1 watt?

coralfever
03/04/2011, 05:10 PM
They are 10w, they also have 20w, 50w and 100w versions. I've tried the 10s, they run very hot. I guess they could be used for reef tanks but not really the ideal aplication IMO.

fragboy94
03/04/2011, 06:16 PM
the price might be too good to be true but the led is not. remember you get what u pay for. i would say they are probably not going to last that long. i would go with a reputable brand.
they also have 120, 200, and 300w leds on http://www.satisled.com/Wholesale-20w300w-led_c2210w+ have been around for a while

Curve
03/04/2011, 09:20 PM
hey fragbot im interested in you bc

bucks448
03/04/2011, 09:55 PM
hey fragbot im interested in you bc

Off topic x2....I had to read that about 20x to figure out you weren't interested in a date.

Curve
03/04/2011, 10:55 PM
Stupid smart phone LOL It meant interested in the biocube he had lol

kentlighting
03/05/2011, 12:27 PM
I read somewhere that the watt/lumen ratio is not exactly 1:1. Meaning that as you go up higher in wattage per LED the efficiency goes down. They still put out more light than a smaller one, just not as much as 2 smaller that equal the same wattage as the big one. The only application I have seen the need for the bigger LEDs is in places like video projection or entertainment lighting where you need a single point source light to create a crisp projection of an image.

noahm
03/05/2011, 12:54 PM
I read somewhere that the watt/lumen ratio is not exactly 1:1. Meaning that as you go up higher in wattage per LED the efficiency goes down. They still put out more light than a smaller one, just not as much as 2 smaller that equal the same wattage as the big one. The only application I have seen the need for the bigger LEDs is in places like video projection or entertainment lighting where you need a single point source light to create a crisp projection of an image.

It is comparing apples to oranges. There are efficient designs out there that have a very high lumen/watt ratio, but wattage in and of itself means nothing as to the efficiency or effectiveness. It is just an issue of power consumption. You could have a 10W led that barely glowed and just got very hot, or a very efficient one that put out 1000+ lumens. It is specific to the design of the semiconductor and they are improving every day. Far more R&D has gone into the smaller low watt designs, so they tend to be more efficient, though you can still get crappy 1-3 W LEDS just as easily as crappy 10W LEDs.

kentlighting
03/05/2011, 01:15 PM
It is comparing apples to oranges. There are efficient designs out there that have a very high lumen/watt ratio, but wattage in and of itself means nothing as to the efficiency or effectiveness. It is just an issue of power consumption. You could have a 10W led that barely glowed and just got very hot, or a very efficient one that put out 1000+ lumens. It is specific to the design of the semiconductor and they are improving every day. Far more R&D has gone into the smaller low watt designs, so they tend to be more efficient, though you can still get crappy 1-3 W LEDS just as easily as crappy 10W LEDs.

I agree with your statement of the quality of the LEDs effect the efficiency of the LED. I believe the same could be said of any light source.

Here is an article from Color Kinetics who is owned by Phillips, the Leading manufacture of entertainment LED fixtures. you probably have not been to a live event or seen one on TV with out their products involved. In there it discusses the lumen/watt situation. It is not a definitive source, just one to provoke some some more thought.
http://www.colorkinetics.com/support/whitepapers/HighPowerLEDs.pdf

it also discusses how LEDs systems should not be rated in Watts but as a actual measured of Lumens of a whole system. Now I know we are more concerned in this hobby with Par as apposed to lumens but its just interesting non the less.

noahm
03/05/2011, 01:36 PM
Yeah, it is interesting that the actual LEDs chips are generally sold with the Lum/W info readily available, but the finished fixtures or any end product is just sold with the W info and the rest in fine print or not at all. Most LED/conventional lighting efficiency is based on the lumen/watt ratio. Some of it is deceptive though as it is based on the bulb or diode efficiency alone which doesn't take into account ballast loss, reflector loss and other losses in an effective lighting fixture or system.

I did a lot of research for a fairly substantial report/proposal on retrofit LED streetlight units, so I am very familiar with the flaws in rating fixture efficacy. The very high end commercial LED units are running 80 l/W LEDs, but as they start to incorporate more of the 100+ chips (there are LED chip designs that have reached 200+ lum/W), you will continue to see the efficiency improve even with higher watt chips. It is just that older designs will continue to be sold and used as they are cheaper to buy from the fixture manufacturers standpoint.