PDA

View Full Version : SPS coral discoloration

jverna1
03/05/2011, 07:13 AM
I have a 180 mixed reef tank and i am currently running carbon and GFO in separate Geo reactors. My phosphates are 0 and my nitrates are pretty much 0. Other levels are Ca 460, Mg 1300 and Alk 9.1. As far as flow I am running an MP60 and 2 MP40's. I dose britewell K, Fe, Strontium around 10 ml every other day and Zeovit Pohls xtra and AA concentrate on alternate days. I thought these were good parameters and my dosing is lower than the recommended dose for my water volume but I am noticing my sps corals are losing color from when I purchase them. Am I doing something wrong or does somebody recommend I do something different?

bertoni
03/05/2011, 07:33 AM
Color changes can happen for a lot of reasons. Your tank might have a higher nutrient level or different lighting compared to the coral's previous location. Zero for nitrate and phosphate on hobbyist test kits aren't necessarily good enough for preventing color fading, for example. That's one reason that some people dose carbon in some form, for example.

chefzif
03/05/2011, 07:42 AM
dosing stronium and the other products may have some affect on the coral! You are changing there parameters and some times it may take time! is your system low nutrients? give it time

dixiedog
03/05/2011, 07:45 AM
Color changes can happen for a lot of reasons. Your tank might have a higher nutrient level or different lighting compared to the coral's previous location. Zero for nitrate and phosphate on hobbyist test kits aren't necessarily good enough for preventing color fading, for example. That's one reason that some people dose carbon in some form, for example.

Can you expand on that a little? I have very similar params to the OP and also have faded SPS. But I've been trying to bring my nitrates UP, not down, as I never heard anyone suggest fading was due to excess nutrient. I thought vodka dosing was the last thing on Earth I needed to try.

jverna1, what kind of lighting do you run and how many hours a day?

bertoni
03/05/2011, 07:51 AM
A higher nutrient level in the water can lead to corals turning more brown, due to growth in the zooxanthellae population. That might be perceived by many people as faded colors.

dixiedog
03/05/2011, 08:32 AM
Gotcha. We'll wait for the OP to clarify on that. "Faded" to me means pale or colorless, to the point being nearly white in some cases.

jverna1
03/05/2011, 09:47 AM
Can you expand on that a little? I have very similar params to the OP and also have faded SPS. But I've been trying to bring my nitrates UP, not down, as I never heard anyone suggest fading was due to excess nutrient. I thought vodka dosing was the last thing on Earth I needed to try.

jverna1, what kind of lighting do you run and how many hours a day?

I am running 250W phoenix 14K's. My lighting schedule is:

ATI Blue plus T5's from 9am to 11am
Metal Halides from 11am to 6pm
ATI Blue plus T5's from 6pm to 8pm

jverna1
03/05/2011, 09:48 AM
A higher nutrient level in the water can lead to corals turning more brown, due to growth in the zooxanthellae population. That might be perceived by many people as faded colors.

When you say high nutrients, are you refering to Phosphates and Nitrates? I never test for phosphorus or silica. Are they in the nutrient category?

jverna1
03/05/2011, 09:52 AM
dosing stronium and the other products may have some affect on the coral! You are changing there parameters and some times it may take time! is your system low nutrients? give it time

I do weekly 25 gallon water changes with ESV salt. I probably should just do water changes and not worry about dosing the elements huh. Im a little dose happy. Lol. I am kind of a newbie (2 years) so I just love putting stuff in the water.

jverna1
03/05/2011, 10:41 AM

In your opinion, what is the best way to dose carbon?

m2434
03/05/2011, 11:41 AM

Yes, I think most salts are pretty high in strontium. I think 8ppm is about NSW, I wouldn't go much over this. I think most salts already are and I don't believe it is consumed particularly fast. So, you will want to test this if your dosing. I'm skeptical strontium would be helpful for anything, but could certainly cause issues though, so I wouldn't bother. Just my .02 though.

chefzif
03/05/2011, 01:12 PM
get a reactor to dose carbon!

bertoni
03/05/2011, 05:33 PM
Phosphate and fixed nitrogen in the water column can change coral coloration. Silicate isn't an issue.

For dosing carbon, I might start with a mix of vodka and vinegar, although the plastic pellets look interesting, too. Sugar seems to cause more problems.

jverna1
03/05/2011, 05:42 PM
I found how to dose vodka but they are saying dose MB7 with it. If I were to dose vinegar, how would I dose that in conjunction with the vodka?

bertoni
03/05/2011, 05:48 PM
You can dose both at that same time, or just the vodka. It's not clear how much the MB7 helps, but it provides bacteria, which might (or might not) be useful.

jverna1
03/05/2011, 05:50 PM
How about Zeobak and Zeofood?

Rickyrooz1
03/05/2011, 06:09 PM
How about Zeobak and Zeofood?

Both are junk, look into carbon dosing. I noticed in my tank that strontium helps coralline algae growth.

dan-in-gr
03/05/2011, 06:35 PM
Hi, I just got 12 SPS and 1 chalice coral from a local reefer last week, their coral was losing color and turning brown, within two days in my tank the color was starting to come back and as of today it is one week and all color is back. The previous person had a very mixed reef with numerous leathers, we both believe the toxins from the leathers caused the problem. If you have leathers remove them and do a couple of larger water changes. Hope this may be an option. I did get the corals dirt cheap!! I dose almost nothing, but use D-D salt and keep my nutrients as low as possible.

jverna1
03/05/2011, 07:00 PM
I think im give vodka a try. Is anybody using a particular brand? Dont think im gonna get any Greygoose anytime soon. Besides, my wife would finish it off before I could get it in the tank. She doesnt like Smironoff.

Rickyrooz1
03/05/2011, 07:26 PM
http://melevsreef.com/vodka_dosing.html

gary faulkner
03/05/2011, 07:31 PM
I think im give vodka a try. Is anybody using a particular brand? Dont think im gonna get any Greygoose anytime soon. Besides, my wife would finish it off before I could get it in the tank. She doesnt like Smironoff.

Sounds like Smironoff it is then.:dance:

jverna1
03/05/2011, 07:51 PM
http://melevsreef.com/vodka_dosing.html

Thanks Rick, that was very helpful.

jverna1
03/05/2011, 07:53 PM
Thanks for the feedback everybody.