PDA

View Full Version : Why do people still dose Mag and Strontium whilst using CA Reactor?

Mushroom
06/07/2003, 08:33 AM
Forgive me but I thought a calcium reactor would produce enough magnesium and strontium?

Flatlander
06/07/2003, 09:33 AM
Dont know. I use to use add magnesium to keep it at 1200ppm but it has never gone below 1300ppm with my reactor. I have never measured strontium, but assume the dissolving media, which is calcium based, would be adding it also.

Jeff Littlefield
06/07/2003, 11:12 AM
Doug, I was wondering what kind of media you use in your ca reactor?
Mushroom, It seems my kaoralin reactor w/ Koralith meadia does not keep up levels of stront & Mag. Why I dont know? Maybe bad media? Later Jeff

JB NY
06/07/2003, 12:37 PM
I don't dose strontium now because I am having calcium problems, but I did. I started dosing strontium because after 16 months my reef had little coralline algae growing.

I started dosing in 8/2002

http://www.cnidarianreef.com/images/timeline/081902_full.jpg

Here is my tank 10/2002 after two months of strontium additions.

http://www.cnidarianreef.com/images/timeline/102202_full.jpg

sps si
06/07/2003, 12:39 PM
mushy ;)

most media's dont contain a lot - if at all - for magnesium just chuck in a few handfulls of dolimite in the reactor if u want.

jb ny,

big difference there:eek2: - how often do u add it?

si

JB NY
06/07/2003, 12:46 PM
I was adding 1 tsp once a week.

joefish
06/07/2003, 02:56 PM
Originally posted by JB NY
I was adding 1 tsp once a week.
Do you use a test kit to see how much is in your tank?

Flatlander
06/07/2003, 04:42 PM
Originally posted by Jeff Littlefield
Doug, I was wondering what kind of media you use in your ca reactor?
Mushroom, It seems my kaoralin reactor w/ Koralith meadia does not keep up levels of stront & Mag. Why I dont know? Maybe bad media? Later Jeff

Jeff, I use the ARM media in a large single stage. When I ran a duel, I used ARM in the main body and crushed coral in the other.

MrSandman
06/08/2003, 01:30 AM
Out of curiosity, those of you guys running reactors....what else do you dose other than strontium and magnesium? Iron, Iodine, etc.?

JB NY
06/08/2003, 06:47 AM
I used to test for strontium, using the seachem test kit, it was always between 10-12. Eventually I stopped testing.

I also dose Iron every day or two, 1/4 tsp.

Finious
06/08/2003, 07:58 AM
Wow..that stuff must be powerful, it even turned your blue tang purple...:eek2: .....j/k

despair
06/09/2003, 11:03 AM
are you using the Kent Marine Turbo Strontium or Kent Marine Super Strontium & Molybdenum?

Jimbo327
06/09/2003, 12:12 PM
Wow JB NY,

That is some amazing coralline explosion you have there! I just might have to start dosing strontium. :D I've been hesitant because some people claim that strontium is unnecessary, while others claim better growth of their SPS and coralline with strontium. Some experts are debating whether SPS uses strontium or are they just depositing it because it is toxic to them. It's quite controversial. Elevated strontium is also considered a toxic risk to all of the inhabitants in your tank, so for all those reading this thread and want their coralline to spread - always use a test kit and just don't dump in the strontium.

Darn those strontium test kits are expensive though!!! Hehe. What supplement did you use JB?

Jim

JB NY
06/09/2003, 12:40 PM
I had been using Kent Marine Super Strontium & Molybdenum. After I ran out I switched to ESV's Strontium Chloride Solution. But I had much better results with the Kent's, so I may be switching back. Yeah those kits are expensive. I read the debates and most of the users of strontium were basically like ,use it for a while and you be the judge. So that's what I did. I felt it prudent to test if I was going to dose, and my strontium levels were never high in any tests. I was using the seachem test. If you think the test is expensive, the test itself is a royal pain in the...it take like 20 minutes using all kinds of different chemicals and you even get these rubber glove to wear because one of the chemicals can cause serious problems if it comes in contact with your skin.

Dragon Moray Eels
06/09/2003, 01:13 PM
I have a Calcium reactor with carbon dioxide (Co2) and i never bother with strontium and magnesium but i do add Iodine:rollface:
Buddy :fish1:

Jimbo327
06/09/2003, 04:06 PM
Buddy,

We all have calcium reactors and drip kalk as well. ;)

Some things just need extra attention when the impact can be seen in pictures posted by JB NY. I had to pick my jaw off the ground when I saw the two month change. Although the test kit is quite expensive and a PITA to use, it looks like I will have to invest in this little element...the results speak for itself. Plus, I want to see its impact on SPS. Currently, I'm supplementing with iodine and an aspartic acid additive. My coralline does not cover my back wall, so I just might give this a try. I have zero phosphates and my calcium/alk are 430+/12+.

However, toxic components in the test kit that requires gloves seems quite dangerous. :D

"Back up, boys and girls, this test kit is best left up to the professional! (snaps glove)" :lol:

Jim

Dragon Moray Eels
06/09/2003, 05:46 PM
:eek1: OOPS!! I forgot to mention that i use Kalkwasser (calcium hydroxide) as well in my reservoir.
Buddy :fish1:

Mako
06/09/2003, 07:16 PM
While my Sr levels never seem to stray from the recommended range, I can't say the same for Mg.

I am using a dual stage Ca reactor with a chamber of Korallith and one of the ARM media. On top of this I still add a couple of handfuls of dolomite for an Mg boost with every refill. With all that you would think I have Mg covered....not. I still find myself using some MgCl2 on occasion to keep my levels at 1300.

Go figure. http://smilies.sofrayt.com/%5E/k/vogel.gif

You get gloves with that Sr kit now Joe? (Salifert)

Mushroom
06/10/2003, 05:16 AM
Originally posted by JB NY
I had been using Kent Marine Super Strontium & Molybdenum. After I ran out I switched to ESV's Strontium Chloride Solution. But I had much better results with the Kent's, so I may be switching back.

Does that not suggest it may have something to do with the Molybdenum?

sps si
06/11/2003, 04:23 PM
Originally posted by Mushroom
Does that not suggest it may have something to do with the Molybdenum?

i read somewhere that to much of this caused cynao

si

Jimbo327
06/13/2003, 02:34 PM
Just tested my water, 0 strontium. I added some Kent Strontium & Molybdenum. If I remember correctly, it states add 5ml per 25 gallon every 4 days.

But I don't understand how they can make such a statement without knowing what's in your tank. And it doesn't say how much it would raise your strontium levels when you add 5ml. Anyone do a test? I hate to use another strontium test, it's darn expensive!

My Salifert Sr kit did not required gloves. :D

Jim

joefish
06/13/2003, 02:59 PM
No but they say to rinse hands with lots of water if sr-1 touches your skin !:eek1:

drock59
03/13/2006, 03:02 PM
I hate to revive the dead, but has anyone been running strontium for a long time with success?

Gary Majchrzak
03/13/2006, 08:09 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6945237#post6945237 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by drock59
I hate to revive the dead, but has anyone been running strontium for a long time with success?
For some reason or other I subscribed to this thread when it was originally posted.
I might as well add that I've been running without directly dosing Sr or Mg (or anything else) for a long time with success.
I'm running a Ca reactor with ARM media. Makeup water for evap is kalkwasser. I perform routine water changes.
Incidentally, two foods that I feed my fishes are high in Mg: nori and "Saltwater Staple" (VibraGro).
Last time I checked my Mg it was above NSW levels.
I have stony corals and soft corals as well as coralline growth.

Gary Majchrzak
03/25/2007, 10:00 PM
This post is almost exactly one year after my previous one.
I've not been feeding nori at all for the past year and I've needed to use a Mg supplement to keep Mg up around 1350ppm.
It might be worth considering that heavy daily feedings of nori might have an effect on Mg in reef aquaria.

gasman059
03/27/2007, 07:05 AM
It might be worth considering that heavy daily feedings of nori might have an effect on Mg in reef aquaria.
Interesting thread.
I don't dose strontium now because I am having calcium problems, but I did. I started dosing strontium because after 16 months my reef had little coralline algae growing.
Pretty impressive.
What calcium problems, if I may ask(just typical or anything out of the ordinary)
It seems that my coralline is slow but ifigured why hurry-If its fast i may have to scrub,

Denadai
03/27/2007, 07:47 AM
IMHO is not necessary to add Mag and Strontium ...just do water changes

stony_corals
03/27/2007, 08:29 AM
Ca Rx media do not add much Mg or Sr to the system, they need to be replenished by some other means. It's proven that Mg and Sr can/are utilised and depending on what salt you use, your system may be low in those two elements.

gasman059
03/27/2007, 08:33 AM
Ca Rx media do not add much Mg or Sr to the system, they need to be replenished by some other means. It's proven that Mg and Sr can/are utilised and depending on what salt you use, your system may be low in those two elements.
Hey Stony - I do dose mag- Kents.
As far as Strontium been considering adding some dolomite to the reactor, but back and forth u know. Anyways i might just dose some kents weekly for a while and c. THX;)

stony_corals
03/27/2007, 09:06 AM
I mix in my ARM media a product called ZeoMag, which provides Mg. I don't even need to worry about it. I'm starting to add Sr, not because I can read those damn Sr test kits, but from what I've read Sr levels tend to decline in our systems.

antonsemrad
03/27/2007, 09:53 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9569834#post9569834 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Gary Majchrzak
This post is almost exactly one year after my previous one.
I've not been feeding nori at all for the past year and I've needed to use a Mg supplement to keep Mg up around 1350ppm.

Thats funny, I have had a lot of coralline growing since I started to track and add MG, But, I started to feed a lot of nori at the same time....

It occurs to me that nori has alot of stuff in it, including whatever you will find in your typical bottle of miracle-trace-whatever.

gasman059
03/27/2007, 10:59 AM
I mix in my ARM media a product called ZeoMag, which provides Mg. I don't even need to worry about it. I'm starting to add Sr, not because I can read those damn Sr test kits, but from what I've read Sr levels tend to decline in our systems.
I will do THX:smokin: