PDA

View Full Version : QT Set Up

Tang tank
03/05/2011, 10:54 AM
I am going to purchase the nessecary items to set up a QT today. But I would like some in put on what size tank...what type of filter...heater...skimmer...power heads...bubble wand...substrate...live rock...ect I need to have? Also what type of cycle time am I looking at? I know it depends on the size of the tank and live rock but just a ball park estimate would be nice. And once it is up and running do I need to keep a fish in it? A clean up crew? :twitch:

rodster912000
03/05/2011, 11:35 AM
realy should read the sticks at the top of the page in new to the hobby!!! it will answer all of thos questions and more.

duncantse
03/05/2011, 11:56 AM
10 gallon tank
HOB filter
100watt heater
pvc elbows.
no need for skimmer
no need for powerhead
no need for live rock

MrTuskfish
03/05/2011, 11:56 AM
^^^^^^Its all there^^^^^ and here's a generic cut & paste job of what I do for filtration and an instant cycle. No LR, CUC , skimmer, substrate, PH, bubble wand (shiver!)

In regards to Qt cycling; I've done this for years. Get a HOB filter; I really like Aqua-Clear, they have a big sponge and last forever. Don't use the carbon or ceramic noodles that come with the filter. Also, have some extra sponges on hand, they're cheap. Keep a sponge in the flow somewhere in your DT. When you need a QT or HT, just use the sponge that has been in your main system in your QT filter---the QT will be instantly cycled. When done, toss the sponge and keep a new one ready in your main system.
BTW, Cupramine copper, used in a QT,will not destroy a bio-filter.

lacosta28
03/05/2011, 02:47 PM
Also what type of fish do you plan on purchasing? 10 gallon could serve you well but if you plan on getting a tang you may want to get a 20 gallon long instead.