PDA

View Full Version : Please help with picking bulbs for T5

johnatbhs
03/05/2011, 02:11 PM
On my 75 gallon hopefully soon to be sps filled tank i just upgraded my lights from power compacts to an 8 bulb T5 fixture. I think I may have picked out the bulbs incorrectly though.

I got 4 blue plus bulbs, 2 aquablue special bulbs, and 2 purple plus bulbs all from ATI. The only thing I dont like about this combination is that all my macro algae now looks brown instead of a dark green. I even pulled some out of my sump where it looked a dark green, and once in my tank it looks really ugly brown. What bulbs would you guys switch out to make the greens look a little better. Thank you.

LoyalConvict
03/05/2011, 02:23 PM
My 8 bulb setup is like this, front to back

Blue plus
Blue plus
Blue plus
Blue plus
Aquablue special
Fiji purple
Blue plus
Blue plus

I like the blue color that this setup gives me, my only recomendation would be getting rid of one of the purples on your setup, and replace it with a blue plus or an aquablue special

johnatbhs
03/05/2011, 05:08 PM
Oh, thanks. Yeah my green corals look fine, the only thing is like algae that isn't fluorescent looks really bad, maybe ill take out a purple plus

rtparty
03/06/2011, 01:07 PM
Pull an Aquablue for a GE 6500k.

I would pull both Aquablues before I touched a purple bulb. I have found the Purple bulbs do MUCH more for color then the Aquablue bulbs.

I personally don't like Aquablue bulbs for anything. They are extremely white and wash colors out.