PDA

View Full Version : how does your tank equipment actually work the way the ocean works?

Sk8r
03/05/2011, 04:51 PM
1. water---pretty obvious, except this; water dissolves things. Salt water REALLY dissolves things. Stir some table salt into a glass of water. Note that not all dissolves. This is because what you dumped in exceeds what water wants to 'carry,' ie, how much it can hold in solution. Hot water can carry less oxygen, say, than cold water. But warm water can dissolve things cold water can't. One of those little mysteries of chemistry. Most of the ocean floor is rocks or mud---and the water dissolves things out of it; it dissolved calcium and magnesium, and sea creatures built their skeletons of it, then died, fell to the bottom, and yes, the ocean still dissolves it away.
One of nature's little wonders is that, if you drop in 4 tbs of powdered lime into 1 gallon of ro/di freshwater---just 1tbs dissolves instantly. Add more water and bingo! more of the lime that fell to the bottom instantly dissolves, then won't take any more. That's water for you.

2. your sand and rock: contains bacteria that slurp up waste just as ocean rock does; those bacteria process it until it turns to harmless nitrogen gas and floats up to the atmosphere and joins the air we breathe. Think of this sort as the 'liver' of your tank, continually purifying the water. Exceed its capacity and your tank chokes on waste. That's why we say 1 lb rock per gallon.

3. your skimmer. This is the surf of your tank. It churns up a froth, that floats to the shore and lies there until it joins the landbased ecosystem as fertilizer. This is spare amino acids and other protienacious fishy waste. That snail that died? He's froth, now.There were pix a couple of years back of a 20 foot high wall of sea foam that rolled ashore in, I think, Australia: and parents were letting their children romp in it. Reefers were going "ewwwwwwwwwwww."

4. your lights. This is the sun. Back in the Permian extinction, when a combo of a meteor impact (theoretical) and the Siberian Traps volcanic eruption blitzed the Earth's atmosphere, the earth's oxygen went bye-bye and the sunlight that got through the thick clouds was weird, like doomsday. Which it was. Cyanobacteria grew up under that lighting and succeeded so well it actually replaced the planetary atmosphere, producing so much oxygen it revived the whole planet and led to the age of dinosaurs. And you think YOUR tank has a cyano problem? ---Seriously, cyano responds to light. When your lights start to change spectrum (get old) weird things happen. Cyano is one, and lps starting to retract are another.

5. your sump. consider this the ocean deep, where nameless processes go on that you really don't want to look at. Upstairs, light sparkles and the tank is spotless. Sumps---rarely are. But they're a way to get the nasties all behind doors or downstairs.

6. Your water changes: yep, it's the rain. It's the lightning, that causes chemical changes. It's the runoff. It's the Great Refresher that brings in trace elements from the middle of the continents.

BMUR
03/05/2011, 05:11 PM
great info :fish2:

ryano34
03/05/2011, 08:45 PM
Thanks! Great post!

duncantse
03/06/2011, 01:12 AM
Nice comparison!

stevie-o
03/06/2011, 01:29 AM
isn't rain more of an auto top off? and ocean water doesn't get much trace elements from rain run off it gets it from hydrothermal vents and rocks. I like the part about nitrogen gas. I always wondered what those little bubbles where from

Sk8r
03/06/2011, 09:51 AM
I like that, Stevie-o. I was thinking of rivers like the Amazon and Mississipi and Nile---but you're right, the hydrothermal vents are the major dosing! Done down in the oceanic sump, yet.

And thanks to rivers that carry sewage and agricultural chemicals into the ocean through runoff---humanity is no longer totally using ro/di water!

eweinig
03/06/2011, 09:54 AM
Thanks for the reminder (#4), time to start looking for new bulbs!

stevie-o
03/06/2011, 10:53 AM
yeah it's crazy how much pollution there is. I'm taking an oceanography class and learning a lot of amazing stuff about the ocean :)

jp634
03/06/2011, 11:32 AM
great post, if only others would post smart things, life in our tanks would grow like the ocean

Paul B
03/06/2011, 11:54 AM
and ocean water doesn't get much trace elements from rain run off it gets it from hydrothermal vents and rocks.

The ocean gets plenty of trace elements from rain. When the earth formed it was very hot and all of the water was not in liquid form but water vapor or steam.
Eventually the ground cooled enough so that water could condense as rain. That water vapor was pure water but when it fell on the earth and ran down the mountains to fill the ocean basins it picked up minerals including salt along the way. Every element on earth is condensed in the sea.
(I know because I was there :))

The oceans still get plenty of trace elements from rain as all of the rivers lead to the sea, unfortunately many of the trace elements today are man made or at least man concentrated like laundry detergents, industrial waste and fertilizer.
One of the biggest problems with respect to coral reefs is that on tropical Islands that are inhabited by us we replace the seaside vegetation with roads and condos. Those areas used to be permeable to rainwater that used to percolate down through the coral rock back to the sea. Now it runs off roofs, overflows sespools, picks up fertilizer from farms and washes road pollution into the sea. If you dive off many inhabited Islands the corals are dead until you get miles offshore. Even the corals that we think are healthy are no where as healthy as they were 100 years ago.

Sk8r
03/06/2011, 12:21 PM
Ha! I found the beach foam pix http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-478041/Cappuccino-Coast-The-day-Pacific-whipped-ocean-froth.html

And I repeat: "Ewwwwwwwwwwwwwww."

Paul B
03/06/2011, 12:28 PM
That is so cool