PDA

View Full Version : Got a crocea, but...

BamBam17
03/05/2011, 08:16 PM
he's holding onto a small snail shell and another piece of rock. I tried to gently remove it, but he wont let it go...dont think ripping it off is a good idea. I read it's good to put them on a small piece of rock and then move them up, but the shell is making the balancing a bit difficult. I initially put him on the sandbed, but I have a 4-lamp T5-HO with 24" deep tank...thinking a place higher on the rock is a better spot for lighting...? Any suggestions...?

ReeferBill
03/05/2011, 08:23 PM
Hi BamBam 17 ; Just place the clam about half way up on your rock or where ever you think will be the best spot for it. It will eventually attach itself and you do not have to worry about the snail. It will probably let it go when ready to. Happy Reefing!:wave:

BamBam17
03/05/2011, 08:39 PM
Hi BamBam 17 ; Just place the clam about half way up on your rock or where ever you think will be the best spot for it. It will eventually attach itself and you do not have to worry about the snail. It will probably let it go when ready to. Happy Reefing!:wave:

Thanks for the reply! I really cant stand him up because the snail shell beneath him makes for an unbalanced clam (which is prob a reason the LFS had him in the sand...?)

moliken
03/05/2011, 09:46 PM
the only way to remove him is a sharp knife. tilt the clam and cut as close to the shell as possible. do it in the water. after lights out is when i'd suggest. i'm only suggesting it b/c i think you need more light to keep him on the bottom at that height of a tank. search for clam removal threads.

Jabrams
03/06/2011, 05:33 PM
I wouldnt cut anything. try gluing or bonding the snail shell where you want your clam to make its home - he might detach on his own.