PDA

View Full Version : Yellow Tang

jagjohn2000
03/05/2011, 08:27 PM
So I have been doing daily 20 ish percent water changes on my 75 for about 3 weeks. My Yellow tang doesnt want to eat. He will nip at frozen when i first drop it in and the leaves it alone. He seems kinda skinny too. I am having a battle with ammonia for some reason. I set my tank up 12 ish months ago and just let it do it's thing for about two months with live sand. then, before i research much online and only took my LFS advice I added a damsel. He has been in there ever since month 2, so about 9-10 months and everything seems to be fine with him. water params were great, did bi monthly water changes and trates were 10 or less all the time. Now I can't get rid of ammonia and my yellow tang wont eat. Of course my damsel eats like a pig because he doesnt care what goes on, and my clown seems fine to. eats. well. whats up?

ozzyfan121
03/06/2011, 07:27 PM
How high is ammonia? Cut down on feedings if possible. The tang should go crazy for nori. I just buy Sushi Chef brand toasted nori. It doesn't have any added oils or flavorings, and my yellow tang goes CRAZY for it! Add in small amounts and don't leave in tank for too long do to your ammonia problem.

jimmy frag
03/06/2011, 07:40 PM
you should have 0 ammonia readings always. you nead some live rock. what are you useing for filtration. if its a canaster type then put some live rock rubble in er

jagjohn2000
03/06/2011, 09:10 PM
I bought some BRS dry eco rock and have been letting it hang out id RODI water with heater and powerhead. Just to make sure I didn't get an ammonia spike. Sure enough I did but I just did a test of both the eco rock and DT and I have 0 in both. Is there something that could have made my tank re-cycle possibly? i didn't have time to check trites or anything else before work but i will in am. Think adding a 4.5" tang and clow at same time with no LR, only sand could kinda jumpstart a mini-cycle? params and fish seem to be doing a bit better before i left for work.