PDA

View Full Version : Leveling subfloor for 210 looking for some help

levischilz
03/05/2011, 09:59 PM
I can get a picture if needed but i dont think it will be needed.

I have a ceramic tile floor that has about 3/8 or possibly a tiny bit more center hump right in the center of where the new fish tank stand will be going. I decided to skip trying to shim that much and still possibly have a pressure point in the center.

Today I chiseled out the area where the tank is going about 30" deep and 85" wide. I first removed the tile and there was cement board under that got a little destroyed in the tile removal.

I checked with a level and was concerned that the 3/8 I removed basically the thickness of the tile may not of been enough to get a good level. It may have been enough but didn't want the self leveling compound to be too thin.

I not removed the cement backer board and am left with just. Plywood floor. I have not checked the thickness but im guessing whatever would be common maybe 3/4 or 5/8 ill check that tomorrow.

I was planning to just use self leveling compound and fill the hole and let it level about 1/2 inch thick. After reading they recommend using wire mesh to help the slc. I'm curious if i need to thinking the wood floor or anything. I won't be installing tile or anything basically just going to level the floor with the self leveling compound and put the stand right on top of the leveler.

I plan to secure some floor jacks in the crawl space to keep the floor from having so much deflection.

Any help or info would be great tired or stressin.

Misled
03/05/2011, 10:26 PM
A half inch is more than you normally want to use leveler for. If I were doing it, I would just level it with leveler, (as thin as possible), then lay a sheet of plywood on top.

levischilz
03/05/2011, 11:11 PM
My main concern was that the specs for most levelers is recommending a minimum of 3/8's if using it over plywood floor and not concrete. Hrmm