PDA

View Full Version : Couple of RO/DI questions

MelloW33
03/06/2011, 06:24 PM
Hey reefers, I'm finally looking to buy a RO/DI system. I have a couple of questions, thanks in advance for the answers. I'd like to hook the system up in my garage. There's easy access to water out there and it would keep it out of my way. I have two 30g jugs that I'm going to use for salt and RO storage.

Once I fill up my two jugs, what do I do?
Can I turn off water to the system?
I thought I heard somewhere that you just need to store the membrane in the fridge, is that all I need to do?

Thanks!

Misled
03/06/2011, 06:35 PM
I have guest valves on the input and both outputs. After filling my jugs, I just turn them off and disconnect the unit. You don't put the membrane in the fridge, you just want to make sure it stays wet.

MelloW33
03/07/2011, 10:56 AM
Anyone else?

How do you make sure it stays wet? By locking water in it?

beatle
03/07/2011, 11:45 AM
It'll stay wet inside the housing. I have a valve on the outlet of mine (in addition to my float valve) to shut it off.

Not sure how cold your garage gets in the winter, but be careful that the system doesn't freeze. If it's full of water, it can crack the housings. It's also more difficult to mix a block of ice if your jugs are also in the garage. :)

SATAN FISH
03/07/2011, 11:46 AM
I just have my RO/DI filter down stairs under my bathroom sink. I have it permanently hooked up to the cold water supply down there. I turn water flow on when I need more water. Turn water flow off when I don't. Been doing this for almost two years. I have to replace my filters now, but that is a given anyways. There is always water in the filter, unless you actually pull the whole thing apart and drain it out.

MelloW33
03/07/2011, 11:48 AM
Thanks for the replies. The garage doesn't get cold enough to freeze water but my kegerator got too cold and froze my keg. What a bummer

SATAN FISH
03/07/2011, 12:27 PM
I would like to add that a garage is a good place for RODI water too. I have flooded my basement about 5 times now in 2 years. Flooding a garage is no big deal. Oh yeah, and there is no need for a fridge. I have never heard "fridge" and "RO/DI" in the same conversation before.

MelloW33
03/07/2011, 02:39 PM
I would like to add that a garage is a good place for RODI water too. I have flooded my basement about 5 times now in 2 years. Flooding a garage is no big deal. Oh yeah, and there is no need for a fridge. I have never heard "fridge" and "RO/DI" in the same conversation before.

It's because they're both next to eachother in the garage. i went to pour a cold brew lastnight and got nothing.