PDA

View Full Version : Buliding a shallow reef tank ?

twintrades
03/06/2011, 10:31 PM
OK ive been toying around with the idea of a shallow reef tank. Possibly sumped. Im planning on either a tube nem tank or clams. Just love the idea of having the tank be shallow.

So what thickness should the glass be ? Is there a hight that would be minimal ? How wide would be two wide ? Id hate to have it look awsome and fall apart in 3 months.

twintrades
03/07/2011, 08:34 AM
Just a lil bump

widmer
03/07/2011, 08:59 AM
So the aquarium's dimensions are totally up to you. Nothing is too shallow or not wide enough etc if it works for you. If you post up dimensions people will probably be able to recommend glass thickness.

ATinPGH
03/07/2011, 02:16 PM
My next tank is going to be 96x30x15". I love the shallow look. The glass thickness will be whatever the manufacturer says it needs to be.

twintrades
03/07/2011, 09:43 PM
Ok im thinking of nano size. SO 24" wide 12" long and i was thinking about 6" high. 8 seemed to high.

It would have a sump as well.

NanoReefWanabe
03/07/2011, 10:55 PM
myself i would go a little taller then 8" but most anything ( in the nano realm) under 12" high can safely be done with 1/4" glass...use a quality silicone "adhesive" like rtv103 or scs1200 and weary of anyone saying consumer grade silicone sealants will do the job properly...for an extra 2.00 worth of silicone do it right...

good luck and post pics

twintrades
03/07/2011, 11:17 PM
I built a card board replica and liked the looks of a 6 inch hight insted of the 8 inch.

I have a 70 watt mh and i want to maximize the output.

NanoReefWanabe
03/07/2011, 11:36 PM
I built a card board replica and liked the looks of a 6 inch hight insted of the 8 inch.

I have a 70 watt mh and i want to maximize the output.

in that case you would be much better off with a cube style tank, or more cube like (like 18x16x8, or 20x16x8 etc...), as the output pattern of the MH reflectors is seldom as rectangular as the tank you are planning, unless you plan to DIY a custom lumenarc style reflector for the tank....

a 6" deep tank will be hard to move water in, especially if you want it move enough to keep clams or anemones happy and you will also only have about 5" of water in it less the thickness of the bottom of the tank...

your tank and i wish you the best...i just dont want you to be unhappy after building it, and realizing the MJ1200 blows water out the top of it all over your floor....

Rob.P
03/07/2011, 11:45 PM
+1 on a taller than 8" tank. My buddy has one that was 48x18x8 and he hated it and i can totally see why. I love tanks that are roughly 14-20" tall.....easy to put your arm into if need be and enough room to work with.

Did u calculate the sand and rock area? because a 6" tank becomes a 4" one quick with sand

twintrades
03/08/2011, 06:37 AM
Yea i did think about the rock and sand area. I want it to be shallow. I have a 15 in the basment i could use if i wanted 12" sides. I already have a 75reef and 29 lion softy tank. So thats the reason why i wants such a strange tank design.

The flow shouldnt be that hard i dont think. Ill have a set of lock line with 2 out puts. Should create decent flow id think. ?? Thats all part of trying somthin new i guess.