PDA

View Full Version : Fish trap

ssavader
03/07/2011, 09:46 AM
Besides the age -old coke bottle fish trap, can anyone recommend a fish trap that they purchased or made that really worked. My PBT had developed ick (despite a 6 week quarantine 3 years ago when I got him).

StephLionfish
03/07/2011, 01:03 PM
Hello, I looked for you a trap that looked like mine, but, I couldn't find an online store that sold it. But, I found this trap, it looks similar to the one I used. Worked like a charm. I'm not sure about the website...I just wanted you to see the trap. Good luck! ( Put it in the tank, put seaweed or something in there, when it goes in yank the sting and the door shuts. Bang! But, for one fish it took me several days of sitting in a recliner with Coke in one hand and string in the other in front of the tank. It finally went in. Try putting something that resembles a fish or someting reflective in the box. ( The fish went in faster when they thought there was another fish in there. )
http://www.fosterandsmithaquatics.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=14700

twon8
03/07/2011, 01:25 PM
aquariumspecialty has two sizes for sale in their acrylics section

http://www.aquariumspecialty.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=72

Zoa Robber22
03/07/2011, 01:27 PM
fish traps usually arent efficient unless you introduce it at proper feeding times...the best trap is the old fashioned net..

ssavader
03/08/2011, 09:32 PM
Thanks for the direction to the websites. I have tried one and two nets on several occasions on several days and have only succeeded in damaging corals. If I come to the tank with the algae clip, my PBT is right there- as soon as he sees the nets, its off to his favorite hide-away. 3 second memory- not this guy!

SDguy
03/08/2011, 10:38 PM
Place the trap in the tank. Use a long piece of airline tubing like a straw to blow food into the trap. After a couple days, all your fish will be fighting to get into the trap.

StephLionfish
03/13/2011, 12:24 AM
Thanks for the direction to the websites. I have tried one and two nets on several occasions on several days and have only succeeded in damaging corals. If I come to the tank with the algae clip, my PBT is right there- as soon as he sees the nets, its off to his favorite hide-away. 3 second memory- not this guy!

Mmmm, yes. Beautiful fish. The only fish I have ever successfully caught with a net is a Zebra Danio in my freshwater tank:lol2: But, I could cup my hands together for a trap to get those gullible things out. Good luck.

elegance coral
03/13/2011, 02:11 PM
I just captured a blue flasher out of a 120 and it took me all of about three minutes. I have a large plastic bag, like the ones fish come in. I weaved one end of a fishing line around the opening. Then tied a slip knot. Placed a small rock in the bag to hold it down. Placed it in the tank, and added some food. Took the other end of the fishing line to the couch, relaxed, and watched the tank. When the wrasse went in the bag to get the food, a quick tug on the line closed the bag with the fish inside. This is the quickest and easiest way I know of to capture fish in a reef.

ssavader
03/13/2011, 06:43 PM
SDGuy, great idea.
EC, when you say that you "weaved" the line around the outside of the bag do you mean that you threaded the line in and out and in and out of the bag, like a line on a duffle bag?

elegance coral
03/13/2011, 06:59 PM
SDGuy, great idea.
EC, when you say that you "weaved" the line around the outside of the bag do you mean that you threaded the line in and out and in and out of the bag, like a line on a duffle bag?

Exactly. I poke holes in the bag with an icepick, or similar sharp object, about an inch away from the lip of the bag, then thread the fishing line through the holes all the way around the perimeter.

SDguy
03/13/2011, 07:38 PM
I'm lazy...I just bought a trap ;)