PDA

View Full Version : Ordering Horses - All or half?

andythorntonjr
03/07/2011, 10:18 AM
I'm getting ready to place an order for sea horses shortly (from one of the more reputable sites), but now I'm wondering how many to get.

I'm planning on 2 pair in my tank (50 gallon), but cannot decide whether to do 1 pair first, make sure they do well, then get the 2nd pair in a few months... or if I should go ahead and get all 4 and then see. From a pure shipping standpoint I know doing a single order would be best, but in terms of survivability and health, what does everyone think? Considering the price of getting all 4 at once (~$250-300), I'd hate to get all 4 and find out 'something' was overlooked or out of sync, then be out 4 horses and $300 to boot. XD

Thoughts?

Ann Marie
03/07/2011, 10:29 AM
If you do get them all at once, I would start feeding your tank more than you normally do to get it ready for the extra bioload.

Are you going to QT them when they arrive? I think that it is a good idea to so that they aren't stressed any more by any of your tank inhabitants and you can get them used to a feeding dish if you are going that route. You can also keep a closer eye on them.

Have you talked to the breeder to see what they recommend?

It's hard to tell but looking at the tank that you are using for your avatar, it kind of looks as if there is a anemone in there. Do you have one in your soon-to-be-seahorse tank?

andythorntonjr
03/07/2011, 11:58 AM
I've already started going a little heavy on the feeding recently just to prepare for the bioload either way; though I have a good sump filtration going (calourpa & chaeto in the sump), plus a halymenia in the main tank. I do have some polyps in the main tank now and a xenia, couple paly too, but no anemones. There's one large (fake) orange coral in the middle (avatar pic) I put in there to use for a hitching post for the sea horses.

I have a large abalone shell I'm going to mount on a rock and use that in the tank for a feeding dish. Bouncing between the QT tank and no still; would have to go buy a tank and get it cycled ASAP; though could move some rock/water from the main tank to speed things up there. I know a QT is preferred, but with as little as is in the tank currently; beyond some algae & the 3 fish, I was hestitant (and lacking a lot of extra room). Just got an ATO, so sure the wife will glare if I say I need a QT also right away :D Then again, I don't want to skip and have things go badly..

mikencarol
03/07/2011, 12:06 PM
What are the 3 fish in there???

andythorntonjr
03/07/2011, 01:13 PM
2 firefish and 1 yellowheaded jawfish. Plus there are some snails in there too; all of which are on the 'friendly' list for sea horses. I'm planning on erectus too, no dwarfs if that helps. ;)