PDA

View Full Version : What happened to my Dwarf Angel???

MachMe
03/07/2011, 02:19 PM
What happened to my Dwarf Angel?

I noticed today that he did not come out from the rock work. Last night he ate fine. So after I got home from school I moved some rocks to find him. I picked up a rock and it looked as if he was stuck in there so I pushed on his face lightly to get him to move. He moved forward a tiny bit and then squeezed out. Now he is swimming like he is delirious and even layed on his side. Now he is just posted right side up against a rock. Looks as if he is dying? Should I take him out?

Is he dying? Is he just freaked out?

My water parameters appear to be good as I have a dwarf lion and ocellaris that are doing fine.

Thanks

jeff@zina.com
03/07/2011, 02:31 PM
Way too little information. How long have you had him? Any other symptoms? Post ALL parameters. How old is the tank? What size?

Jeff

MachMe
03/07/2011, 02:37 PM
2+ months old. 37 Gallon Bow

Don't know the parameters exactly. Last tested a week ago before I got him.
0 Ammonia
0 nitrite
0 Nitrate
Ph 8.2
Salinity 1.025
Temp 78
FOWLR
RO water and IO salt

Haver had him for about 1 week. No abrasions, no ick, nothing obvious. Have not added anything to the tank but regular feedings in which he ate.

Beaun
03/07/2011, 02:42 PM
Nevermind, you posted just before I did.

jeff@zina.com
03/07/2011, 03:03 PM
Dwarf angels can be more sensitive than an occelaris or a dwarf lion, so you probably want to test your water parameters again. He may also have been crunched in the rock when you moved it. Plus, at a week since you got him, he really should be in your quarantine tank.

Have you asked the LFS about him?

Jeff

MachMe
03/07/2011, 04:44 PM
Dwarf angels can be more sensitive than an occelaris or a dwarf lion, so you probably want to test your water parameters again. He may also have been crunched in the rock when you moved it. Plus, at a week since you got him, he really should be in your quarantine tank.

Have you asked the LFS about him?

Jeff

They had him for a month. He was in a solid piece of rock. No quarantine tank due to lack of room.

Angel*Fish
03/07/2011, 04:55 PM
Angels should at least get an oral dose of prazipro to kill internal parasites. Once when you get the fish and then again in about 6 weeks. If there were no external signs of illness, there's a good chance he suffered from cyanide poisoning which is still used for collection especially in the Philippines and Indonesia. If it's that, there's nothing you can do.

I would definitely ask your LFS who their suppliers are - you may or may not get an honest answer. I'm sorry about your fish, take extra care when buying any more angels. You might consider ordering online froma vender like Pacific Island Aquatics. My impression is they are in control of the sources of their fish.

Good luck.

MachMe
03/07/2011, 05:37 PM
Angels should at least get an oral dose of prazipro to kill internal parasites. Once when you get the fish and then again in about 6 weeks. If there were no external signs of illness, there's a good chance he suffered from cyanide poisoning which is still used for collection especially in the Philippines and Indonesia. If it's that, there's nothing you can do.

I would definitely ask your LFS who their suppliers are - you may or may not get an honest answer. I'm sorry about your fish, take extra care when buying any more angels. You might consider ordering online froma vender like Pacific Island Aquatics. My impression is they are in control of the sources of their fish.

Good luck.

Thanks for the advice. I know it had nothing to do with the water parameters because I keep on top of them with weekly water changes. It is also only FOWLR. I've been in the fishkeeping hobby for quite sometime so I make sure to stay on top of the parameters.

Angel*Fish
03/07/2011, 06:09 PM
I forgot to say that in the absence of other diagnosis or symptoms, if he'll eat, I'd soak some food in prazi and possibly some antibiotics and give it to him. I had a flame that was as sick as your sounds and that worked.

sunil6784
03/07/2011, 06:40 PM
This is EXACTLY what happened to my flame angel. In the last few days before he died, he still tried to eat, he just missed the food. It really was sad to see. I never did find out what happened to him, or how he died. Parameters were all fine, other fish were fine, and 5 weeks in QT (no meds). After about 3 months in the display, he had symptoms exactly like you are describing...

Angel*Fish
03/07/2011, 07:04 PM
I don't know what happened to these fish, but it's consistent with cyanide death. I believe the cyanide can cause different levels of damage to the fish depending on exposure to the poison. . It is very sad and a good reason why we should be as conscientious as possible with our purchases and who we buy from. That is the only way to stop it. When you see angels for really cheap, that's a red flag.

I imagine the collectors probably think it's a wonderful racket - they sell the fish which survive the collection, fish dies in 3-6 months, purchaser needs new fish. It's disgusting.

MrTuskfish
03/07/2011, 07:40 PM
Cyanide caught fish are also have exceptional colors, so they sell better. For future reference; I wouldn't put any DA into a new tank, they need lots of very mature LR for grazing. wait until the tank has been running well at least 6 months.

Angel*Fish
03/07/2011, 07:41 PM
Cyanide caught fish are also have exceptional colors, so they sell better. For future reference; I wouldn't put any DA into a new tank, they need lots of very mature LR for grazing. wait until the tank has been running well at least 6 months. x2