PDA

View Full Version : 240 gallon 96x24x24 Lighting

BoisBlancBoy
03/07/2011, 05:00 PM
I have done lots of reading on lighting. How do you know what lighting you should get, like between which colors of bulbs and wattage?

Advantages between T-5, MH, and LEDs?

Also, suggestions for lighting on a 240 96x24x24 with a FOWLR set-up? Someday might turn it to a reef, once I get the handle on what I am doing.

RedM3
03/07/2011, 07:19 PM
If you're only doing FOWLR, you don't need to do a whole lot with lighting right now. You can just go with inexpensive strip lighting until you decide for sure that you want to do corals. If you don't want to keep anemones, corals, etc. then there will be nothing that requires true lighting, and you'll save a bundle. Lighting for an 8' tank is not cheap.

Once you get to the point where you know for sure you want to go reef, then you can spend the money. T-5's will be cheaper, but will allow still allow you to keep most soft corals and I believe a fair number of LPS. They also run cooler. MH's run hotter, so you may need to use a chiller, but they will also provide more flexibility for lighting conditions. You can also usually keep SPS with MH too. Once you're ready, you'll probably want to opt for MH's due to the flexibility. There aren't any standard 8' T5 fixtures that I'm aware of on the market, and you'd likely need multiple fixtures.

I don't really know anything about LED's. Perhaps someone else can chime in with more expertise about the lighting options.

Anthony.Luciano
03/07/2011, 08:29 PM
im pretty advanced in leds. if you can get about 3 watts per gallon in leds it will be great for sps and about 2-2.5 for lps. its always better to get ore because with dimmable drivers you can turn them down later on. if your really interested in spending the money just lmk i can give you some more info. i built mine alot bigger then needed or my 125 it cost about $1,800 its good for a future upgrade.

funkejj
03/07/2011, 08:41 PM
If you are going to go reef at some point I would spend the money for lighting now. I personally would go with 4 250w MH. Or get two 4' 8bulb t-5 fixtures. LED's are great but I don't have them so I wont comment on them.

BoisBlancBoy
03/10/2011, 06:58 PM
Ok, right now I have two 4' double bulb I think they are T-8's. So four blubs total. Would those work for FOWLR? Should I change the blubs to something else? Colors?

Also sorry but I dont know what SPS or LPS stand for?

Even with everything I have read, the lighting has been the most confusing for me. With so many options on units, but also bulb choice I am lost. Thanks for the tutoring!

Anthony.Luciano
03/10/2011, 07:00 PM
any lights work for a fowlr tank. you only need to worry about lighting if your going to do a reef.
Ok, right now I have two 4' double bulb I think they are T-8's. So four blubs total. Would those work for FOWLR? Should I change the blubs to something else? Colors?

Also sorry but I dont know what SPS or LPS stand for?

Even with everything I have read, the lighting has been the most confusing for me. With so many options on units, but also bulb choice I am lost. Thanks for the tutoring!

RedM3
03/10/2011, 10:32 PM
any lights work for a fowlr tank. you only need to worry about lighting if your going to do a reef.

+1. Light really serves no purpose other than aesthetics for FOWLR tanks. You don't need to worry too much about colors, but stay away from actinic until you get into corals and upgrade your lighting. When you need to replace your T-8 bulbs, you'll probably want something around a 10,000K color which will simulate natural daylight.

SPS and LPS mean Small and Large Polyp Stony corals.

BoisBlancBoy
03/18/2011, 06:25 AM
With lower power lighting will I still get coraline algae to grow?

Why stay away from actinic bulbs, doesnt the blue just help with bringing out the colors in your tank more so than stimulate growing?

Bigdaddy_wood
03/18/2011, 07:11 PM
I like the 60" T-5's

BoisBlancBoy
03/19/2011, 11:27 AM
With lower power lighting will I still get coraline algae to grow?

Why stay away from actinic bulbs, doesnt the blue just help with bringing out the colors in your tank more so than stimulate growing?

Anyone??

Right now I only have 4-32 watt standard bulbs. I would like to at least change them out to full spectrums.