PDA

View Full Version : corner seam leaking!

Darkstar22
03/07/2011, 05:34 PM
Hi all,
bought a tank on CList, and put water in last night. and the seam on the back corner (left) is leaking just a little bit. I siliconed on the edges of the existing silicone, and on the outside of the seam. Will water test it again. Is this advisable or do I need to totally redo it? Strange thing is the existing silicone looks great. Surely don't want a blowout of 105G!
Thanks

SWINGRRRR
03/07/2011, 05:39 PM
If it were a 10gal, Id patch it. That big of a tank, Id tear it down completely and re-silicone all the seams. That's just me though.

Darkstar22
03/07/2011, 05:59 PM
I just re-added the water that I pumped out last night, and no leak so far. Now the big test! I'm going to add about 30 more gallons.
The leak was coming out in very small beads in 1 spot last night. We will see what happens. Hopefully all is good!

username in use
03/07/2011, 06:17 PM
Unfortunately, its not fixed. Old silicone will not bond with new silicone and it is only a matter of time before that thing gives completely. Not really worth the risk, especially once you get it stocked with corals and fish.

eznet2u
03/07/2011, 09:22 PM
If it were a 10gal, Id patch it. That big of a tank, Id tear it down completely and re-silicone all the seams. That's just me though.
Unfortunately, its not fixed. Old silicone will not bond with new silicone and it is only a matter of time before that thing gives completely. Not really worth the risk, especially once you get it stocked with corals and fish.
http://image06.webshots.com/6/8/96/25/83089625VOLFci_ph.jpg

NanoReefWanabe
03/07/2011, 11:00 PM
well the whole tank doesnt NEED to be taken apart, but surely the panel that is leaking must be removed, along with the entire inner seal..clean the removed panel, clean the entire inner seal area, silicone the panel back in and reseal the entire tank...however the effort involved in removing the one panel and entire seal almost makes it worth taking the whole tank down...

but surely as others have pointed out, simply covering the old silicone with new WILL NOT work...

kcress
03/08/2011, 01:56 AM
but surely as others have pointed out, simply covering the old silicone with new WILL NOT work...

..for long...