PDA

View Full Version : Question for 36 Bowfront owners

UnusualSuspect
03/07/2011, 07:23 PM
I have a 36 bow setup, with a canister filter and HOB refugium.

I got a bug up my behind over the weekend and now want to convert to a sump. I drew up plans for a DIY sump based on a 10 gallon tank and was all ready to go. I bought the 10 gallon tank yesterday, and now find out I can't get it into the stand. Grrrrr....

The stand is the AGA "classic pine" stand (http://www.aqueonproducts.com/products/classic-pine-bow-front-stands169448.htm).

So, the question: what do owners of this type of tank do for a sump? Can a 10 gallon DIY sump be dropped in thru the top of the stand? Do I need to consider making a custom-sized acrylic sump? Do I need to look at a different piece of furniture to set the tank on?

What are your thoughts?

Thanks,
Mike

UnusualSuspect
03/08/2011, 07:13 AM
Bump.

Any thoughts?

Bilk
03/08/2011, 08:12 AM
Doesn't the stand have a door on the front? If not, make one.

b85511
03/08/2011, 08:19 AM
You can always change stands but if new one is a different shap it may ollk odd but gibe you more room under tank

UnusualSuspect
03/08/2011, 08:21 AM
Doesn't the stand have a door on the front? If not, make one.

Golly, why didn't I think of that - put it in through the door!

Hey, give me SOME credit ... a 10 gallon tank won't fit thru the door. I suppose I could remove the vertical brace at the back, put the sump in the stand and then replace the brace with a length of 2x4.

JCeballos27
03/08/2011, 08:26 AM
I used to have a 36 bowfront and I put a 10 gallon DIY tank in the stand by removing the middle brace and putting it back in. If you plan on having a sump, I assume you will want to either have a hob overflow or drill the back glass for an internal overflow. Which one are you thinking of doing? I had my back glass drilled w/ an internal overflow. It worked great.

UnusualSuspect
03/08/2011, 08:50 AM
I used to have a 36 bowfront and I put a 10 gallon DIY tank in the stand by removing the middle brace and putting it back in. If you plan on having a sump, I assume you will want to either have a hob overflow or drill the back glass for an internal overflow. Which one are you thinking of doing? I had my back glass drilled w/ an internal overflow. It worked great.

Thanks, JCeballos - very good info & validated what I was thinking - temporarily remove the brace in the middle back.

I've ordered overflow & return kits from g l a s s h o l e s . c o m and will be drilling the tank.

Thanks again!

JCeballos27
03/08/2011, 08:57 AM
No problem. That's actually where I got the overflow too.