PDA

View Full Version : Am I making a mistake wanting a blue ring octo?

prawngoby
06/07/2003, 02:58 PM
I am going to build a custom tank so escape is imposible, but how big do I build it? Also what do I feed it (thepetstop.com hasn't responded to my email yet)? Now I also realize that they are venomous, but some aren't as toxic as others. I need to know some of the speices of blue rings, if anyone knows. I am 14, and trust me, I'm not getting one to be "cool", but I it is the animals behavior is why I'm considering one. Any, and I mean any help will be of great value to me.

XxAngelzDustxX
06/07/2003, 04:32 PM
It seems like us youngsters have a thing for blue-rings. Why don't you check out the thread I started a while back. Hope it helps.

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=149093&highlight=octopus

Like many others, I decided against it.

XxAngelzDustxX
06/07/2003, 06:22 PM
I also want to point out that they only display their blue rings when disturbed, so unless you're planning on scaring it half to death everytime you wanna see it light up, you're better off getting another octo :)

prawngoby
06/07/2003, 08:15 PM
thanks alot, and i do realize that they only"light up" when disturbed, but you can still see the blue rings when they're not scared

noni
06/08/2003, 03:14 PM
not to mention, the blue ring is so toxic, if you get bit, say your prayers!

cephalopoder
06/08/2003, 03:23 PM
Well I would be surprised if you could even buy a blue ring. They seemed to have stopped importing them due to their toxins. The only species of blue rings you could ever get in the USA was Hapalochlaena lunulata It comes from a country that sometimes uses cyanide to collet with. They seldom live very long in the home aquarium Seems like a lot of money, time and work to go through with to only have it live for a few weeks.

MauiReefer
06/08/2003, 03:40 PM
I heard the water they are housed in can become toxic too, therefor preventing any interaction. ie. waterchanges feeding. you gotta be really careful you can DIE

Jared

Sweettoothbear
06/08/2003, 04:33 PM
Hobby Experience: I have a years experience, and can answer any and all questions from what I'ce learned. I keep a FOWLR and a reef

Then why ask this?:D

Badboy
06/08/2003, 04:40 PM
Thepetstop.com is the worst place I ever had to deal with. I placed a order and for three weeks straight I would receive a e-mail that my order items was not instock and would be retried the following week. Well that was enough of that stuff I cancelled the order and never heard anything back from them. The only things I ordered was 2 pistol shrimp and a mantis shrimp and they could not handle that small order.

Badboy

prawngoby
06/08/2003, 07:09 PM
Then do you have any reccomendations on octos I should try?

Badboy
06/09/2003, 07:23 AM
Get ahold of Jack at www.fishsupply.com and tell him what you want he has some tank raised bimac's and check out the link below.

Badboy

http://www.fishsupply.com/cgi-bin/f2/common/store.cgi?dbname=f2&mode=item&path=top/C/CC/CCB00/CCB00-11902

FalsePerc
07/16/2003, 02:08 PM
yea...don't do it.....as was said a while back:

Originally posted by VeeDubGal
In 3rd grade we went on an excursion with school, we went to Cronulla Beach (Sydney) and all kids were allowed to play in the rock pools ONLY if wearing water shoes. She didn't feel it, although it was still stuck to the side of her water shoe, within what seemed like about 5-10 minutes she stopped breathing, she died about 2 hours later while we all sat in the bus outside the hospital.

FalsePerc
07/16/2003, 02:09 PM
DBL post

FalsePerc
07/16/2003, 03:01 PM
WOW....took me 2 hours to make this anim.........

FalsePerc
07/16/2003, 03:02 PM
http://www.freewebs.com/findamentals/AnimationWizard1.gif

FalsePerc
07/16/2003, 03:03 PM
http://www.freewebs.com/findamentals/AnimationWizard1.gif

FalsePerc
07/16/2003, 03:04 PM
aack! It won't show!!!!

Sloth
10/09/2003, 01:25 PM
You say you want to learn about their behavior. So why not get an octo thats not venomous? Think about it. You could DIE. Unless you want to be logged in the Darwinism chronicals, don't get a blue ring. If you get one, good luck. I hope you learn everything you wanted to know. Maybe you can keep a pen and paper next to the tank, so if you get bit you can describe the pain you're feeling in your final moments. That may be of educational use to somebody.

Malofish
10/30/2003, 09:34 PM
I've kept my blue ring for a little over two years now without one single incident, escape or death. I don't think that they should be given such a horrible reputation, their not out to kill you only defend themselves. I also live alone and have a special aquarium built just for him and give all the respect in the world for the animal. Just keep in mind that if you ever have to move the octopus it's not even worth keeping! Enjoy the hobby.

VL
10/31/2003, 09:38 AM
You have managed to keep a blue ring alive longer than it's actual life span?

I would be interested in your secret.

teevee
10/31/2003, 02:29 PM
Originally posted by Malofish
I've kept my blue ring for a little over two years now without one single incident, escape or death. I don't think that they should be given such a horrible reputation, their not out to kill you only defend themselves. I also live alone and have a special aquarium built just for him and give all the respect in the world for the animal. Just keep in mind that if you ever have to move the octopus it's not even worth keeping! Enjoy the hobby.

I agree. After all, a loaded AK47 is only dangerous if someone pulls the trigger. We should all leave loaded semi-automatic machine pistols lying around our living room for our children to play with. After all, it doesn't have a mind of its own.

Guns and dangerous animals should be left to the experts. Not high school students with obnoxious friends who come over to smoke cheap dope.

Malofish
11/01/2003, 02:45 AM
It's in a 60cube reef, with a wet dry and an over the tank refuge. 3.5 watts per gallon. I allways replace the snails and hermits and constantly add fish to the system. Amazingly i have a maroon goldstripe clown and a convict tang still alive, it's been been about 3 months!!!! When I bought it, it was smaller than a quarter, it's gotten pretty big, but I've seen bigger!

Mr aqua
11/06/2003, 07:27 PM
yes u can see them when they are not afriad - mine is beautifuL and also availiable, i'm in So CaLi - make me an offer

dipster916
02/08/2004, 12:41 AM
A

OctoMonkey
02/08/2004, 11:24 AM
B

ssublime1
02/09/2004, 11:48 AM
From what I've read at that place blue rings seem like a no go.Everybody has a hell of a time just getting one to acclimate, like 1 in 10 or 20 actually makes it out of the shipping bag...Pretty crappy odds.Of course there's always exceptions, but spending all the time and effort and money for an octo that's just going to hide for the rest of it's short life doesn't sound like a good deal to me.From what I've seen they are extremely extremely reclusive little guys.They are native to where I live abd I've known several epople who have kept them.The consensus is that while moderately interesting, they spend so much time hiding you wonder half the time if it's even still alive since thier life spans are soo short.Actually I saw 1 for about 2 seconds once...Not very great when you consider that tank raised tough, long lived and personable bimacs are available for 30 bucks!Wish I was still in the states sometimes,hehe.

alien for fish
02/11/2004, 08:41 AM
buy a bimac, octopets.com has them for 25 bucks you can purchase them @12 weeks old and you have a better chance of it living for 12 -18 mo if you can keep the water cooloctopets.com (http://octopets.com)

Crevalle
02/11/2004, 02:48 PM
I consistently see people recommend staying away from the blue-ring entirely, and for good reason. However, I have to admit, I will try keeping one someday. Just being honest. Many of the people who say to stay away from them are saying so predicated on their own experiences.

OctoMonkey
02/11/2004, 03:28 PM
'predicated on their own experiences'

can you clarify the context of what you mean with that????

Crevalle
02/11/2004, 04:28 PM
What I'm saying is, some people try keeping blue-rings, then tell others not to. It's sort of like, "I went cliff-diving, and it wasn't fun, so you shouldn't try it either."

Many people keep venomous animals (cobras, mambas, scorpians, black widows, the list goes on...) for whatever reason. It's not safe, and you shouldn't even attempt it unless you really know what you're doing, are willing to take the risk, and have some strong desire to learn more about the animal.

I'm not advocating that people go get a blue-ring and "try it out." I'm just saying (and being honest) that I'll end up getting a blue-ring at some point in my life. The only way we will learn about these animals is by keeping them, and studying them. That's just my opinion.

I hope that clears up what I meant, whether or not you agree.

OctoMonkey
02/12/2004, 02:38 AM
yes that makes sense :)

i agree and disagree.

Its a fair point and and i appreciate your open-ness about it

I hope that me sharing my expereinces helps prevents a few BRO from being bought that have no chance