PDA

View Full Version : Petsmart coming to Newfoundland!!!!!!

Megatrev62
03/07/2011, 09:34 PM
Good news today for all us hungry for more in this hobby.Rumors confirmed Petsmart is coming to our fine city of St.John's Newfoundland. We are very excited about this and apparently the store will be huge. We're crossing our fingers for saltwater. We only have one local store here and he's a pretty good guy-the others are out of business for understandable reasons. The more the merrier I say. Does anyone know if they carry saltwater in Canada? We're hoping and crossing fingers. Thanks

almostazoo
03/07/2011, 09:46 PM
they do salt in AZ but you have to QT and treat everything you buy...

duncantse
03/07/2011, 09:46 PM
I don't think PetSmart has a saltwater fish section. Checked the website and the Petsmart near our house. They do sell some saltwater stuff. My PetSmart sells salt and a 29 gallon nano cube. Will vary for different shops.

BorHor
03/07/2011, 09:51 PM
Some carry salt water fish and others don't.

savageAJC
03/07/2011, 09:56 PM
they dont carry saltwater fish..just a small supply section

almostazoo
03/07/2011, 10:06 PM
sorry thinking petco... factory style

Megatrev62
03/08/2011, 12:20 AM
Still hoping for salt. Not encouraging though.

b85511
03/08/2011, 08:01 AM
petco carries saltwater fish never seen any at petsmart

BorHor
03/08/2011, 08:08 AM
Actually now that I think about it again that is petco I saw salt water fish in not petsmart sorry.

RyanTheLame
03/08/2011, 10:12 AM
PetSmart tested marine fish in some of their Arizona markets early in 2010 and did not see much success out of it. The serious hobbyists willing to properly make an investment mostly go to their independently-run LFS, not the big box places...

Most of them carry 4-8 feet of marine hardgoods, and they are always running sales on their salt it seems... so not a total loss!

Megatrev62
03/08/2011, 11:21 AM
Thanks all. Jeepers

Pittman
03/08/2011, 12:53 PM
There a LFS in Paradise that claims he cant keep much in stock because it sells so fast, and i'm going to assume the one your talking about is across from Stavanger Dr.

chimmike
03/08/2011, 12:57 PM
excited about a big box petstore coming? really?
your expectations are ridiculous, lol.

Wet Dreamer
03/08/2011, 01:08 PM
None of the Petsmarts in Alberta carry saltwater fish, just some of the supplies! Sorry man!

Pittman
03/08/2011, 01:43 PM

Unlike yourself who lives in an area abundant in marine resources, we aren’t so fortunate. With a small population and such limited demand for supplies/livestock in the marine hobby why shouldn’t someone get excited about a company which MAY add some diversity to such a small market? St. John’s, NL is the largest City on the island and it roughly 20hours drive (including ferry) from the next city (Halifax, NS) for those who might ask “Why not just drive to the next city to get supplies/livestock”.

Megatrev62
03/09/2011, 04:04 PM

Who are you? Alright for you I guess. We have nothing here. Bring it on...............

Megatrev62
03/09/2011, 04:09 PM

My expectations and everyone elses. Asked a question don't need this garbage. Thanks

Megatrev62
03/09/2011, 04:13 PM
There a LFS in Paradise that claims he cant keep much in stock because it sells so fast, and i'm going to assume the one your talking about is across from Stavanger Dr.

You're right on. The store you're referring to is closed. High time too.

lacosta28
03/09/2011, 04:13 PM
Unlike yourself who lives in an area abundant in marine resources, we aren’t so fortunate. With a small population and such limited demand for supplies/livestock in the marine hobby why shouldn’t someone get excited about a company which MAY add some diversity to such a small market? St. John’s, NL is the largest City on the island and it roughly 20hours drive (including ferry) from the next city (Halifax, NS) for those who might ask “Why not just drive to the next city to get supplies/livestock”.

Not entirely a bad thing to the alternative. A super Wal-mart every 5 miles. Thank God they never attempted to sell SW fish. I feel bad for the FW fish they do have.

lordofthereef
03/09/2011, 04:58 PM
I too have never seen saltwater livestock at a petsmart (and I have been to patsmarts in many states). They often have great sales and additional online coupons on dog food though. Many times I get it through them cheaper than I can through school! :)

24galloneuro
03/09/2011, 11:31 PM
I would not trust any of those stores.. I have seen the way they care for there fish.. plus most of them have no clue about salt water tanks..

thebanker
03/10/2011, 12:33 AM
Petsmart generally doesn't have saltwater fish, but I've turned to them many times for staple stuff, like Calcium, alkalinity, and activated carbon. They generally carry that sort of stuff, plus some crappy protein skimmers and some other random items. Nothing "reef geeky" but some really basic saltwater stuff that will work in a pinch.

Cheers man, I'm sure it will help with your reefkeeping.

jdyer88
03/10/2011, 12:47 AM
Its a constant struggle for most of us in this hobby to find reputable local sources for livestock, so, we all feel your pain, to some degree. I have two lfs and a petco within ten minutes of my house, but still drive a half an hour (with no traffic) to one that I trust. I imagine that shipping to Newfoundland, or any of the maritime provinces for that matter, is a tricky situation. At least its almost spring though so load up on livestock while you can. Hopefully March goes out like a lamb for you!

Bigdaddy_wood
03/10/2011, 11:13 AM
Big Savings