PDA

View Full Version : Acrylic Tank Downsizing?

Saltwaternooby
03/08/2011, 01:39 AM
So I just got a Large Acrylic tank(96x24x20) for a song and dance... well close. It is just to big for me at the current moment. I was wondering if there is a way to separate the joints, besides a Hack saw?

I really like the dimensions, but just would like a slightly smaller tank, around the 150g(72x24x20) range.

Would it be more trouble to take it down 2ft(kinda thinking it would be) then it would be to trade or sell it?

Don't get me wrong I would love to keep it as is but my new house won't have enough room. Besides the wife said, when she seen it in the garage "there is no way you are having a tank that big."

Anthony

kcress
03/08/2011, 01:48 AM
It's generally a bad idea to reconfigure a used acrylic tank like that. It doesn't glue well or subsequently crazes.

Craigslist it and trade it or sell it and find the size you want.

dzfish17
03/08/2011, 02:44 AM
Its time to make a deal with the wife. Buy her something she wants and you get the big tank.

Saltwaternooby
03/08/2011, 07:57 AM
Ok that's what I was thinking.

Yea I would try that, but as soon as I give her a gift she would say, you still aren't keeping that tank. Besides I would have to do it in wall because of the length, and I want to do a peninsula.

viggen
03/08/2011, 09:22 AM
If done properly it can be cut-glued but why bother..... if you can't use it I would do like others suggested & just sell it & get a 6ft something tank.

After owning a few 6ft tanks and a 8ft tank longer is far superior. However a 24in deep tank isn't the best peninsula tank due to how narrow it is, 30in is the min I would go.

Saltwaternooby
03/08/2011, 02:54 PM
Yea I want a more squat deeper tank. I would definitely sacrifice length and height for depth.