PDA

View Full Version : Evansi Anthias?

snorvich
03/08/2011, 01:09 PM
I just received (accidentally) 5 evansi anthias (Mirolabrichthys evansi) when I was expecting a different species. These are, I recall, much more difficult to maintain. Anyone got ideas on what to feed them??? Thanks in advance for any help.

bigevill1
03/08/2011, 01:10 PM
Any Anthias I have ever had loved cyclopeeze.

MCCOOL
03/08/2011, 01:12 PM
Newly hatched brine shrimp is hard to turn down.

chimmike
03/08/2011, 01:13 PM
have you tried mysis? I think every fish I'll ever buy loves mysis. My 5 lyretails eat mysis every day like I've starved them for a month. I seriously feed a cube + of mysis every day to those guys and my filamented flasher. I need to buy stock with hikari, haha.

pics?

Urchinhead
03/08/2011, 01:27 PM
These guy's might surprise you. Start them off with live brine if they won't take anything else then slowly move them to either flake or pellet if that's what you are feeding your tank. If not and you are feeding mysid or cyclopeeze etc then they should do ok.

I have had several different kinds of anthias over the years (and have sworn never to again until I do ;) ) and have found all but the queen's tend to adapt pretty quickly to the Salifert pellets I feed.

What I usually see is a case of monkey (in this case fishie) see monkey do. As in said anthias see's the other fish rushing about the tank to suck up the pellets and gives them a try then, like crack, gets hooked on them. To the point where several of my lyretail would eat out of my hand. And yes I used to have that much time on my hands. ;)

snorvich
03/08/2011, 01:47 PM
From Live Aquaria website:

"In a reef environment, plankton comprises the bulk of their diet. Supplementing with zooplankton or artemia can increase the probability of successful maintenance of this fish, since it may have difficulty digesting other commercial diets.

The Evansi Anthias can be difficult to maintain and is not appropriate for the inexperienced aquarist. "

The difficulty in digesting commercial diets has me concerned. These are gorgeous fish and if I can make this work, I will be very pleased. Food that I have: cyclopeeze, cyclops, frozen brine shrimp, both kinds of mysis, blackworms, and capelin fish roe. I heard Zoplan may be desirable?

MCCOOL
03/08/2011, 02:00 PM
Have you tried the fish roe? That'll probably work well

Good luck with them, they are beautiful fish.

snorvich
03/08/2011, 02:13 PM
Have you tried the fish roe? That'll probably work well

Good luck with them, they are beautiful fish.

Two out of five ate it. So I plan to mix that in feedings going forward.

snorvich
03/08/2011, 03:17 PM
Ok, so far they seem to like: cyclopeeze (frozen), capelin fish roe, and hikari mysis. Any other suggestions? I like to give the largest variety of food possible.

jonnybravo22
03/08/2011, 08:52 PM
well i just got some carberryi, they are in QT now and i seem to be having feeding success with:

1. frozen cyclopeeze
2. rod's food (original recipe)
3. rod's food (fish eggs)

i ordered some other food -- i image they would eat live copepods so i'm going to try that when they come in, but they are eating the above well.

snorvich
03/08/2011, 09:06 PM
well i just got some carberryi, they are in QT now and i seem to be having feeding success with:

1. frozen cyclopeeze
2. rod's food (original recipe)
3. rod's food (fish eggs)

i ordered some other food -- i image they would eat live copepods so i'm going to try that when they come in, but they are eating the above well.

My carberryi eat everything except cheeseburgers.

jonnybravo22
03/08/2011, 09:25 PM
My carberryi eat everything except cheeseburgers.

oh yeah forgot to add cheeseburgers. :)

get some rod's food though, all fish i've had so far seem to eat it.

SDguy
03/08/2011, 09:27 PM
Ok, so far they seem to like: cyclopeeze (frozen), capelin fish roe, and hikari mysis. Any other suggestions? I like to give the largest variety of food possible.

I think that's actually pretty good for new evansi, Steve! Get them fat on that, then worry about other stuff, IMO.

Matt_Wandell
03/08/2011, 10:59 PM
I think that's actually pretty good for new evansi, Steve! Get them fat on that, then worry about other stuff, IMO.

Agreed with that!

snorvich
03/09/2011, 11:34 AM
I just tried Nutramar Ova and that works exceptionally well. So I should be good to go with these guys, but of course, time will tell. Thanks to all for the help!!!

:love2:

MCCOOL
03/18/2011, 12:41 PM
Any updates? Hopefully still doing well.

snorvich
03/18/2011, 02:34 PM
Any updates? Hopefully still doing well.

They have totally integrated in the Carberyi shoal. Eating: cyclopeeze, nutramar ova, hikari mysis, and capelin fish roe vigorously. So I am pleased to say the least. I might add more (3).

pseudo joe
03/18/2011, 05:24 PM
I picked up a school of five from a LFS about a month ago. They were emaciated and not eating at the store. The owner wont sell anything that isnt eating so he gave them to me to see if I could turn them in my reef instead of having them die in the store. I fed cyclopeeze, nutra mar ova, roe, arcti pods, live brine as well as the mysis I ordinarily feed. A minimum of three feedings a day. After a few days they were picking at the food but not eating well. Long story short, three didn't make it but I still have two. The two that survived eat well and are filling out. I think it also helped that i have other anthias in the tank to create a feeding frenzy when I fed. In any event, I think frequent feedings of a variety of foods is the key. Good luck.

SDguy
03/18/2011, 06:51 PM
Congrats, Steve. They are really neat. A friend of mine has some..the metallic nature of the purple is very cool...ventralis-esque. And their tails get HUGE!

snorvich
03/18/2011, 09:05 PM
thanks Peter. I have one that is turning male. Interesting fish for sure and I LOVE anthias.

rnscross
03/18/2011, 10:33 PM
pics?

MCCOOL
03/18/2011, 11:10 PM
It's great to hear you're having such sucess with them, congratulations! They are one of my favorite anthias.