PDA

View Full Version : Solenoid for Co2 regulation?

Nexenn
03/08/2011, 05:56 PM
Thinking about setting up a Ca reactor. I hear people have problems getting a consistent bubble count. Was wondering if I could just set the count a little higher than I need it and set my controller to turn the solenoid on and off based on pH. Therefore I'll always run in a pH range that I need and CO2 isnt wasted.

Eric the half-bee
03/08/2011, 06:00 PM
I suggest you check out Aquariumplants.com and look at their electronic solenoid free CO2 regulator. I went through 2 or 3 of the traditional solenoid style and got tired of inconsistency in operation. The electronic version operates like a champ.

Nexenn
03/08/2011, 08:39 PM
230 bucks, ouch! The Milwaukee is only like 80 on BRS

needmore-reef
03/08/2011, 10:15 PM
your solenoid will wear quickly,

go to Reefkeeping.com and check the article on calcium reactors.

I wouldn’t buy anything until you read it.

yikesjason
03/09/2011, 12:27 AM
You can either get a better needle valve that will hold you count better, or you can get a ph controller and use a solenoid like you are talking about. Solenoids don't actually wear out that easily.

If you need a needle valve or solenoid, let me know. I build co2 kits for freshwater planted tanks all the time.

Nexenn
03/09/2011, 09:44 AM
What about running two needle valves? Just adding a second one in line. The first would reduce flow enough that you could make really fine adjustments to the second

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

yikesjason
03/09/2011, 02:14 PM
Double needle valves don't really work that way since you are dealing with pressure and flow. The system will balance the pressure to run at the smallest needle valve.

Eric the half-bee
03/09/2011, 08:59 PM
230 bucks, ouch! The Milwaukee is only like 80 on BRS

True, but when I accidentally blew a valve(my fault) changing tanks(after owning it for 13 months), Aquariumplants.com replaced it with a new one no questions asked. Their customer service is A-1.