PDA

View Full Version : Controller ?

HI SALENITY
03/08/2011, 07:46 PM
I am about to drop $500+ on a new controller.:dance::mad2:
So I want to know what is best one to get?
1 Reef Keeper
2 Apex

I want to just get the Reef Keeper from BRS but I think the Apex may have more features like you can have it send you text mesages.

Any help will be great.

I want to use it to controll=

1 Halides
2 Actenics
3 Ozone reactor
4 Heater
5 Doseing pump
6 " "
7 hydor
8 return pump

cjcmcheek
03/08/2011, 07:48 PM
i would go with the apex. the reason being is I like the energy bar 8.

YJLifestyle
03/08/2011, 07:57 PM
Everyone in my club saud to go with apex.. Digital aquatics didnt have enough features they say

HI SALENITY
03/08/2011, 08:44 PM
Who should I buy the Apex from?

What is the energy bar 8?

SHAKEEL
03/08/2011, 08:54 PM
From what I see your looking for a controller that will maintain temp and give you a timer feature for you lights with the option to dose ozone any entry level controller will do that because I paid 500 for a R/K elite and I don't use anywhere near all the features just look into what you need it to do and go from there.

bamf25
03/08/2011, 09:13 PM
I am considering the Apex Lite. Save a few bucks, and really all it is missing is 0-10 v dimming ability and a second ph probe.

HI SALENITY
03/08/2011, 09:30 PM
I think the elite is the only one if you want the orp and I also want it to set/see it from my phone.

Shard
03/09/2011, 12:24 AM
I own both the Apex and the RKE and I say get the Apex or the Apex Lite because they are better products than the RKE hands down.

Better hardware, better software, more features, less expensive feature per feature, more future expansion options, and way better customer service. In short, they just blow the RKE out of the water.

Also, if you want to set/program remotely using a phone app or web browser, the Apex or Apex lite is the only way to go, as you cannot change the setup or programing on the RKE remotely that way.

See Post #10 in this thread for 8 links to relevant information regarding the Apex vs. RKE, and there is even some info on some of the other controller options included in them.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?p=18432916#post18432916

To answer some of your questions from above....
Who should I buy the Apex from?

I purchased mine from ReefGeek, and would recommend them to anyone. Great company, and tend to have the lowest prices or will match the lowest found.

What is the energy bar 8?

The EB8 is an 8 outlet powerstrip that is controlled by the Apex. The basic outlet unit for the RKE is the 4 outlet PC4.

If you have any more specific questions about the two I would be happy to answer.

Hope this helps,
Landon

HI SALENITY
03/09/2011, 05:37 PM
Should I get the "lab grade" PH & ORP probes?

d0ughb0y
03/09/2011, 06:48 PM
If you buy from tbaquatics, the ph probe is free. You don't need a lab grade probe

Shard
03/09/2011, 07:26 PM
Should I get the "lab grade" PH & ORP probes?

No. Standard grade is fine. Both 'grades' function equally well.

HI SALENITY
03/09/2011, 07:27 PM
I will check them out but other sites I have looked at give you the option to buy the controller with standard or lab grade probes. You would not get the lab grade ?

Shard
03/09/2011, 07:47 PM
I will check them out but other sites I have looked at give you the option to buy the controller with standard or lab grade probes. You would not get the lab grade ?

No. I would not. The standard grade probes work fine, and can last over a year. I just don't want to pay for lab grade probes for all my tanks.

The lab grade probes tend to last a little longer and respond to changes quicker, but are not really any more accurate, just more 'responsive' and durable.

If you want them, then go ahead and buy them, it really just is personal preference.

Look at ReefGeek, they are a sponsor here and that is where I ordered mine from. Excellent customer service, and the lowest prices. I think they will match or beat any competitor if you can find it for less.

Landon