PDA

View Full Version : First Sump how to?

ReefKnot
03/08/2011, 11:11 PM
So I just bought my first sump/fuge and I really am not sure what to do about setting it up and what I need. I've got a 29g tank, which will be empty in a couple of weeks (rebuilding and sticking my fish in my QT for a while, only 2 clowns) anyway.... I've got a 20g sump with baffles

http://ovas.ca/index.php?action=gallery;sa=view;id=4062

I'm willing to consider drilling my 29, or doing a DIY overflow. I dont have alot of extra cash, so I want to avoid large expenses like a mag drive.... I do have an extra MJ-900 sitting around, although I know its not really big enough for the job, and I've got an octopus bh-2000 in my tank at the moment, but the sump came with a Tunze 9002 DOC, so I'm even willing to consider either selling my octopus OR taking the pump out of it...

Anyway, Can I get some advice on how to get this sump operational? What are my options, and what will I need for each of them. Thanks!

ReefKnot
03/09/2011, 12:51 PM
Bumpity bump. Can someone please give me some advice? 40 views no replies....

I've been getting told to get a sump for months now, and now that I'm getting on, no one want to help me? Thats lame...

RiffRaff
03/09/2011, 01:05 PM
I drilled my tank myself and it was super easy. An just read the different threads here I built my overflow and everything else. I wouldn't really go cheap on your return pump personally. It's kind of like the heart of the whole sump idea. I've heard people say you want at least three times turn over per hour. So if you have a 30g system you want at least 90g turn over. Now subtract head loss and everything else. There's a head loss calculator on here somewhere.

ReefKnot
03/09/2011, 02:50 PM
yeah its not too much about going cheap, but more like I've spent pretty much all my money.... so I dont exactly have alot of choice at the moment...

ReefKnot
03/09/2011, 02:53 PM
Would I be able to convert the octopus's OTP 2000 needle wheel pump to run as my return pump from the sump?

I dont exactly need it and the tunze going together....

t11t5
03/09/2011, 04:24 PM
Diamond hole saw's are cheap. Get a 1" saw and drill a few(4) holes across the top. Then make a overflow out of glass and glue it inside. As for the return pump, I would buy a new or used one.