PDA

View Full Version : lighting for a frag tank

rdog
03/09/2011, 09:47 AM
I have a 36 gallon corner frag tank and need to by a light for it. I was wondering what type of lighting would be best for coral growth. T5 or MH. I was leaning more towards T5 but want to know what everyone else is using. I only need a 24 in light for the tank and 3 to 5 watts per gallon if i remember correct so 108 watts, low end and 180 watts top end. Also if anyone knows any good fixtures they have i would take some suggestions. This is my first frag tank, no water in it yet but it is all plumbed into my 240 gallon DT and 110 gallon sump which has been running for a year and a half. I know the first question is "What kind of corals am i gonna keep". I'm not to sure but nothing crazy since i'm new to the fragging world but would like to spend the money on a light that if i ever did want to go big, my light would support it. Thanks for the help.

gweston
03/09/2011, 10:51 AM
Entirely depends on the frags you want, and growth rate.

I'd think a single 175w halide pendant with a 10k or 14k bulb would do quite well. A 150 halide may even do. Maybe a switchable 150/175/250/HQI ballast you can tune based on need?

If you want T5, maybe 6x T5 sounds like plenty. Either should be sufficient for higher light loving critters. If you are looking for softy corals then that could be trimmed back. 4x T5's? Again, you can focus on T5 bulbs that have good PAR.

I am putting together a small 20L (shallow depth) frag tank. I am only going to have 2x T5's over it initially. I am not into SPS fragging (yet)... mostly going to have softies. If I get into SPS frags down the line, I'll add a few more T5's or go halide.