PDA

View Full Version : egg yolk (chicken)

Aegir
03/09/2011, 12:19 PM
So I have been experimenting with feeding my sps (acropora, montipora) a litle bit of smashed up hardboiled chicken egg yolk. So far I have seen good response from the corals, like increased pe. So apart from polution if over feeding is there a reason why I should not be feeding egg yolk to my corals.....

THEDLO
03/09/2011, 12:39 PM
how about all the drugs chickens are pumped with...id be weary of the position ull be when the music stops...

Aegir
03/09/2011, 12:50 PM
supposedly free range organic egg. happy eggs :-) . If it's good enough for me it's good enough for my corals. Are there any oils or fats that I have to worry about.

THEDLO
03/09/2011, 12:57 PM
to be honest im not sure. how does ur skimmer react to the feeding?

dublo8
03/09/2011, 01:10 PM
Interesting. How about bacon and hash browns too? Ha jk. It is interesting though, keep us updated after a week or two and let us know how it effects your tank params.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

THEDLO
03/09/2011, 01:13 PM
oh and take weekly pics. and abnormal polyp extension?

Aegir
03/09/2011, 01:25 PM
Only been doing it for two days, so far the skimmer is shurning away as usual. don't think parameters will be affected to badly since I'm only putting a tiny amount in there. so far at least. Will try and borrow or steal a camera to document.

THEDLO
03/09/2011, 05:38 PM
im curious when led u to do this? random idea?

mgraf
03/09/2011, 06:00 PM
WHAT??? How often does a polyp get to eat a chicken egg in the wild? Hope it works out for you.

ckaquatics
03/09/2011, 06:08 PM
Are you confused with chicken of the sea??? LOL

mgraf
03/09/2011, 06:29 PM
I just fed my reef macaroni and cheese.

sjmantis
03/09/2011, 06:53 PM
How about some soilent green

aleonn
03/09/2011, 07:23 PM
Interesting idea, I wonder if it's sustainable as a food source. Let us know and take pix :)

Bilk
03/09/2011, 07:46 PM
Great now I have to cook for my corals too :(

small alien
03/09/2011, 07:57 PM
Best thread title this year.

small alien
03/09/2011, 07:57 PM
We need pix! Better yet, a video.

Perched Urchin
03/09/2011, 08:01 PM
How about some soilent green

Not Soylent Green! Soylent Green is PEOPLE!!! (shouted in my craziest Charlton Heston voice...)

small alien
03/09/2011, 08:07 PM
Thinking about this a bit more, why on earth are you doing this? :)

reefnrod
03/09/2011, 08:13 PM
Interesting. How about bacon and hash browns too? Ha jk. It is interesting though, keep us updated after a week or two and let us know how it effects your tank params.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

well... after all the vodka they had last night a good breakfast might do the trick. jk

Harry_Y
03/09/2011, 09:52 PM
Very interesting, I would like to see how this works out long therm.

I may add an egg to the next batch of food I mix up (I make my own fish food)

Flems
03/09/2011, 09:57 PM
Omega-3 anyone?

iwishtofish
03/09/2011, 10:21 PM
well... after all the vodka they had last night a good breakfast might do the trick. jk

Very good point!

Aegir
03/10/2011, 02:10 AM
Well years ago when I was breeding bettas (betta splendens) hard boiled egg yolk was the starter food of choise, maybe for lack of any thing better. and since it's packed with nutrition, hopefully like a freshly spawned fisheggs on the reef. I desided to give it a try. obviously starting really slowly.

Bamm Bamm
03/10/2011, 02:36 AM
I fed my RBTA a peperoni pizza tonight and it doubled in size and split into three=)!!!! WOWEEE a new marc weis product

Chris27
03/10/2011, 09:07 AM

Eggs won't do the trick, you need a few aspirin, a green Gatorade, a bloody mary, and a stack of pancakes with coconut syrup.

rogersb
03/10/2011, 09:35 AM
When I was breeding atlolamp. calvus I was feeding egg yolk for probably close to a month and the fry grew leaps and bounds. I have never thought about feeding to my coral, but in moderation it may be beneficial to sps. My water quality was never fouled as long as I fed an amount the fry could consume.

nstiesi
03/10/2011, 11:14 AM
This was mentioned by a speaker at last years MACNA in a lecture on coral feeding. Supposedly egg yolks are pretty effective.

wbdevers
03/10/2011, 12:59 PM
Something to remember--a lot of the foods for Artemia are egg solids and yeast. Also, the most nutriteous brine shrimp are the juveniles with the yoke sac still attached. Please keep us posted.

dogstar74
03/10/2011, 01:01 PM
Actually I would suggest using the powdered eggs that you can buy at the store. It would be finely ground, and may be better sized for your polyp mouths.

Eggs are almost 100% Albumin. This is an animal protein that is almost in universal demand by living organisms. It's the stuff between the Red cells in our blood to a great extent. So no matter what the origin, it should suffice as a food source to living organisms. That is if you can get it to the polyps without it gumming up your system.

Befores and afters would be great!

Aaron

widmer
03/10/2011, 01:08 PM
Mods please close this thread immediately, we can't have a successful additive that costs less than a million dollars an ounce. :lol:

OP, I wish more people would experiment like this. Even if it doesn't work out, at least you know it's not an option. Keep us updated :)

shrimphead
03/10/2011, 01:37 PM
does it have to be hard boiled yolk, why not raw egg yolk, the corals might absorb it easier

lordofthereef
03/10/2011, 01:47 PM
So the OP hasn't chimed in for a bit here. I am curious what led you to this decision of giving this a shot?

As to those claiming that chickens are pumped full of chemicals, I suggest doing some research OUTSIDE of the one-sided propaganda type material that some sites provide.

small alien
03/10/2011, 03:05 PM
Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

T Diddy
03/10/2011, 03:11 PM
Blood would probably work...typically less than 10 micrometers, and cheap at the butcher shop.

wbdevers
03/10/2011, 03:23 PM
I don't know if raw would work but what the hell it would be worth a shot. I would think it would be too hard to use. As far as actual blood, I would definitely not use that. I would think it would screw with water chemistry too much given the amount of iron in blood. If you could seperate the cells then that may be better. Give it a shot.

burnah
03/10/2011, 03:30 PM
does your butcher sell serum/plasma? :D

Aegir
03/10/2011, 03:35 PM
when I decided to try it, my train of thought was that if it could replace zooplankton in fry feeding, "rotifers" it might replace zooplankton for corals. I will be feeding yolk every two to three days for some time. If anyone has or will try egg yolk pleace chime in.

Aegir
03/10/2011, 03:36 PM
I have a feeling that raw yolk would be more likely to mess up the skimmer......

shrimphead
03/11/2011, 09:17 AM
i was just thinking with the raw yolk it's already a liqid, you could dilute it a bit in your tank water and it might be easier for the corals to pick up, with the hard boiled eggs how do you prepare it for your tank? do you just blend it as fine as you can or i was thinking you could try and dry the hard boiled yolk then pestle and mortar it?

jdm1114
03/11/2011, 09:43 AM
I just fed my reef macaroni and cheese.

hahahahahaha:lol:

Aegir
03/11/2011, 09:50 AM
I just put some in a bottle of tank water and shook it well and poured it in the tank. next time I will probably be putting it in the mixer since there were some larger klumps in the mix, which the fish seemed like. I might give the raw yolk a try

dogstar74
03/11/2011, 12:28 PM
Put the raw yolk in a glass of salt water and shake it up and see if you still want to put that in your tank. I think you're doing it the right way right now. Or used the powdered eggs like I stated above.

kduen
03/11/2011, 12:52 PM
Here is an article on artificially feeding discus fry and he is using the powdered eggs. I remember hearing about this when I was into discus and thought it was really wierd to give baby fish egg yolk. This was also about eight years ago when I first heard about it and is still being used today so if finicky discus fry can be raised on it then as long as it isn't too much I really dont see any harm.

http://www.mondodiscus.com/discus/it/articles-in-english/feeding-discus-artificial-rearing-discus-by-cliff-young.html

burnah
03/11/2011, 12:59 PM
could this also be used to raise fry of marine fish? if so, could it replace foods that are more work to obtain EG lifeforms that have to be raised themselves?

Aegir
03/11/2011, 02:22 PM
I have been looking for powdered yolk in the grocery stores around me but have not seen any. I'll probably just keep using boiled yolk. the diskus thing is interesting. Now that it gets mentioned I remember reading about it long time ago. the more I think about it, the better I feel about it.
I donīt think marine fry would be any different from fw fry. If you get them to eat it they should thrive...

Bore-Punch
03/11/2011, 03:00 PM
Im curious as to why some folks are so appalled at putting egg (where we know exactly what is in egg yoke) in a tank, yet do not blink an eye at dosing zeovit or brightwell whatever where the ingredients are completely unknown.

Aegir
03/11/2011, 04:47 PM
I'm sure when people started pouring vodka or some kind of deicers in there tanks, or did not want any sand in there tanks, they were not quite normal. Not saying this is an award winning idea but we have to keep trying. I'm sure that used in moderation it is not harmful. how beneficial it is remains to be seen.

Hawkdl2
03/11/2011, 07:05 PM
Interesting idea. Adding cooked egg yokes should be no more of a problem than adding any other protein-based food source. As long as your tank is cycling well you should be fine.

I would be wary of trying uncooked eggs. There is a potential to introduce bacterial contaminant. While the most concerning contaminant on eggs is salmonella, there are other know aerobic and anaerobic bacteria present on egg surfaces. I don't know how any of these would do in a salt water environment, if they aren't already there.

I take that back. Salmonella has been shown to be present on certain birds that live in salt water environments.

THEDLO
03/18/2011, 08:40 AM
status update!

NirvanaFan
03/18/2011, 10:12 AM
Like has been mentioned before, egg yolk has been fed for years to many freshwater fish.

Keep us posted on how it works out.

Aegir
04/02/2011, 04:02 PM
Still feeding the egg yolk every three to four days. Don't see any ill effects, can't say I see any drastic change in golors or growth. still to early to make a different. still get great pe when I do feed though. they do seem to love it...

Harry_Y
04/02/2011, 06:49 PM
Still feeding the egg yolk every three to four days. Don't see any ill effects, can't say I see any drastic change in golors or growth. still to early to make a different. still get great pe when I do feed though. they do seem to love it...

Thank you for the update.

I stopped running a skimmer and am borderline over feeding my tank' but I have
better growth than I have ever had before; so the egg yoke may be the next step.

clownfreak
04/02/2011, 07:01 PM
I've fed egg yolk to brine shrimp before, this could be a good food. Anyone try it on zoas?