PDA

View Full Version : Is it possible for clowns to love an anemone to bad health/death

coker98
03/09/2011, 12:59 PM
I have 2 clarkii clowns that were hosting a LTA but after the LTA decided to go nomad and wonder around I found it shredded around the tank. After removing it, I replaced it with a GBTA and it was as healthy as could be. I have noticed recently though that they are bathing in it and the mouth is open and they go in the mouth and wriggle around in there. Is that normal/safe??

The anemone has been pretty ****ed off lately and hasnt had full extension/inflation with the mouth varying from open a little to open a lot when the clowns go in it.

Thanks,

Conrad25
03/09/2011, 02:07 PM
I have seen this before and mine does nudge my carpets mouth sometimes. But it also depends on how large the nem is vrs the clowns. You want the nem to be minimum 3 times the size of the clowns.

Conrad

coker98
03/09/2011, 03:03 PM
That might be the issue too as I have 2 full grown clarkiis hosting this nem and its maybe 3 to 4 inches wide. Okay. How do resolve this?

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

createdlight
03/09/2011, 03:16 PM
from what i read, yeah clowns can love an anemone to death

here's the link http://animal-world.com/encyclo/reef/anemones/BubbleTipAnemone.php

Conrad25
03/09/2011, 03:33 PM
Only way to resolve it would be to get them seperated some how. Maybe make a egg crate shield to put over the anemone till he recovers and gets a little bigger. I have seen this done many times

coker98
03/09/2011, 06:57 PM
Sounds like a plan. I will check it out.

coker98
03/10/2011, 12:14 PM
Will increasing the pH of the tank upset the nem?

I am trying to increase my pH to also get rid of a beastly diatom/cyano bloom. I used the powdered buffer and this morning the nem had his insides showing and the clowns were keeping their distance.

Toddrtrex
03/10/2011, 02:09 PM
Will increasing the pH of the tank upset the nem?

I am trying to increase my pH to also get rid of a beastly diatom/cyano bloom. I used the powdered buffer and this morning the nem had his insides showing and the clowns were keeping their distance.

I would stay away from any pH buffer, causes way more issues then it will ever solve. Plus, not sure how raising your pH will effect the cyano, excess nutrients are, most likely, feeding it, and not pH. Should keep your Cal, Alk, and Mag levels in check and pH will follow.

I would do a water change, and make sure that the clowns stay away from the anemone, it is already stressed enough. And yes, I have personally seen a pair of Clarkiis love an anemone to death.

coker98
03/11/2011, 12:19 AM
So is it just the type of anemone that I have with the type of clowns that I have or do clarkiis do this to any nem they host?

Toddrtrex
03/11/2011, 09:43 AM
So is it just the type of anemone that I have with the type of clowns that I have or do clarkiis do this to any nem they host?

It is a couple things; a small anemone (( should be at least 3 times the size of the clowns )), a pair of clowns, and some aggressive hosting clowns. (( maroons are similar )).