PDA

View Full Version : WHAT HAVE YOU DONE? this week zoanthid wise :).

kichimark
03/09/2011, 02:05 PM
So like the title says what have you done this week with your zoanthids. It can be anything such as treating an ailment, move for more flow, feeding, etc.

I myself have been moving a few colonies around to see where their sweet spot is in regards to flow.

MikeandNicole
03/09/2011, 02:16 PM
Spent some time plucking some algae off of frag plugs and repositioning a few of them. We generally will place them on a frag rack to let them grow out a bit and then position them in an area to grow out. If they need to be moved from there, we will see.

Almost forgot, we gave our piece of mushroom shaped rock to a friend to cut up as the pink and gold zoas we got became a weed (NEVER GET THESE). They were growing over our nuclear green colony and purple death colony and it was time for them to go. They grow in a much different way then normal zoas and grow all over other everything. So we got back our other two colonies in nice shape, on nice pieces of rock to continue their growout. So far so good.

SIR PATRICK
03/09/2011, 05:40 PM
I had to pick up a purple digitata and a green poccilipora up off a small colony of zoas today.....no harm on either end it seems. The polyps skirts were a bit messed up, but recouped by the time I got back from work.

I have a dip planned today or tomorow though. CoralRX. I hear that the dip kills of nuisence algae? Im gonna give it a shot. These guys all have some really nasty hair algae growing between the polyps.....

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d87/sirpatrick1/new%20cam%20fish/100_2998.jpg

dublo8
03/09/2011, 08:58 PM
Found some nudi's on my zoa's and started dipping like crazy. I also ordered 3 new zoa frags from Ccritters.com

Synergy
03/09/2011, 11:37 PM
Picked up two nice chunks of zoas from the LFS. Got a rock with 20+ RPE for $20 and another rock with 30+ red and blue zoas for $20.

Friday Night
03/10/2011, 01:16 AM
Watch my zoas close for a week then the mat spread and babies have bloomed...

Fcamdog
03/10/2011, 06:52 AM
Please post back how that dip worked on killing the hair algea. That is a problem I've had on and off with my zoas too, da#@ hair algea!

Fcamdog

Gamepro_inc
03/10/2011, 09:43 AM
Got two new palys. PPE and some random green palys. Also began placing some colonies that I have been growing out in the frag tank to the main tank. It seems something is eating my blue zoe colony each day I see a ployp torn and dying so I moved the 20+ polyp colony but that doesnt seem to have helped. Other than that no news. I never noticed how much Jokers and PPEs look so much alike except for size of course. both seem to be really slow growers.

KafudaFish
03/10/2011, 10:35 AM
I see a new baby growing.

This is the first new polyp I have seen in a while. I had changed my lights so I am thinking the old ones were past due.

I need a few more and then I can start my fragging experiment.

ryan820
03/10/2011, 12:58 PM
I glued my frags down this week... my turbo snails are like slow-motion wrecking balls and I kept finding my zoa and rics resting on the bottom of the tank! I can't be angry with the snails, though-- unbelievably clean tank because of them.

My one and only zoa was closed for two days straight but then I found that it was because pods kept racing around them playing and eating. The zoa is high in the tank, under the lights and good water flow going over them and I can't be certain, as I've never seen new zoas grow yet, but it looks like a small bit of flesh has grown off the side of several polyps and have developed bumps that look like a small closed polyp.

Oh, I also shaved off some small pieces of bubble algae from the frags... I'm told this stuff is no good. So I got the scalpel out and shaved it off clean (and tossed the shavings in the trash!).

This Saturday is Reefstock at the Denver aquarium so if I had to guess... I'll be housing a few more zoas soon!

KafudaFish
03/10/2011, 01:01 PM
You can also use a tooth pick or a bamboo skewer to pop the bubbles off the rock without popping them open.

kichimark
03/10/2011, 01:18 PM
Almost forgot, we gave our piece of mushroom shaped rock to a friend to cut up as the pink and gold zoas we got became a weed (NEVER GET THESE).

I got them also and they do grow super fast. Have you seen different color variations among them?

kichimark
03/10/2011, 01:24 PM
Got two new palys. PPE and some random green palys. Also began placing some colonies that I have been growing out in the frag tank to the main tank. It seems something is eating my blue zoe colony each day I see a ployp torn and dying so I moved the 20+ polyp colony but that doesnt seem to have helped. Other than that no news. I never noticed how much Jokers and PPEs look so much alike except for size of course. both seem to be really slow growers.

Have you done any dips with the blue colony?

I see a new baby growing.

This is the first new polyp I have seen in a while. I had changed my lights so I am thinking the old ones were past due.

I need a few more and then I can start my fragging experiment.

What sort of polyp is it and what kind of experiment are you planning on doing?

You can also use a tooth pick or a bamboo skewer to pop the bubbles off the rock without popping them open.

+1. I actually had to do this the other day with a small patch.

kichimark
03/10/2011, 01:26 PM
Ah I forgot to post what I have done. Today I had to frag a peice of nightmares off due to it growing on a rack. I got about 30 of them now. It looks so much sweeter as a colony than as a 4 polyp frag when I got it.

ryan820
03/10/2011, 02:04 PM

So they'll pop off the rock just like that? I didn't know. I read in one of my reef books to take a razor to it and shave every bit of green off the rock that pertains to the bubble algae. My wife thinks it looks neat but I also read that it is bad to let grow... so off with their bubbles!

KafudaFish
03/10/2011, 02:12 PM
Mumms the word :lol:

But seriously, I am going to run a simple experiment on fragging and polyp development. I have two ways of doing this and I keep going back and forth. In the past there have been a couple of people that have done something similar and it is something that I just want to do.

I need a total of 14 polyps to start the experiment. They are purple hornets and I got them from someone local but my issue is they need to color up to be honest. If I can ever decide on a better light they should.

I did not pick these guys because of their name or "rare" or value. Bascially my daughter's favorite color is purple and I figure that is as good a reason as any.

I will post the experiment in my build. My time frame should be 1 year from the start date.

KafudaFish
03/10/2011, 02:23 PM
So they'll pop off the rock just like that? I didn't know. I read in one of my reef books to take a razor to it and shave every bit of green off the rock that pertains to the bubble algae. My wife thinks it looks neat but I also read that it is bad to let grow... so off with their bubbles!

Yes they are pretty easy to get off. You just insert the toothpick under the algae and lightly lift up. The bigger ones are actually easier to remove.

If it is on a rock that you cannot remove just shut all current off and use a net to catch the algae after it is released.

650-IS350
03/11/2011, 04:07 PM
WC, re-organized the rocks a little due to some other polyps starting to over crowd others.
Preparing some polyps to give away for my local groups DBTC's

DJ TonTon Pink and Golds, chopped about 50-60 polyps easily off my rocks. That I'll be giving away to my club as DBTC

kichimark
03/11/2011, 04:32 PM
WC, re-organized the rocks a little due to some other polyps starting to over crowd others.
Preparing some polyps to give away for my local groups DBTC's

DJ TonTon Pink and Golds, chopped about 50-60 polyps easily off my rocks. That I'll be giving away to my club as DBTC

I have some of them pink and golds and they do grow super fast.

caddydaddy
03/11/2011, 07:10 PM
I did some fragging mostly palys. It's interesting to see how different they really are from zoas phisically.

I haven't fragged palys much before. Hope they did well.