PDA

View Full Version : S. Haddoni on the move!

kduen
03/09/2011, 07:45 PM
So I recently upgraded my lighting from 2-250W DE Phoenix bulbs in a not so perfect but modified Odyssea fixture that were being driven by 2 lumatek dimmable ballasts on the HQI setting. To 2-250 SE Radiums in LumenMax elite fixtures runnig off the same ballasts on the HQI setting. I started out with two layers of screen to acclimate all to the new lighting but after about day three everyone was really stretching out trying to soak up the light and I removed one. Everything looked and reacted fine.

Fast forward five days later (Sunday) and I removed the remaining layer of screen and again everything acted/reacted fine. I did notice that my S. Haddoni was moving to left a little bit but that was fine since it was moving more towards the light instead of sinking back to the right away from it. Now here comes the interesting part.

Last night I got up to check and make sure the blenny made it to his hidey hole instead of the nem after the lights went out and it did. All looked normal like it would any other night after lights out so off to bed I go. I wake up this morning and peek at the tank (lights are still out. picture was taken at lunch but looked the same) and this is what I see!

http://i1124.photobucket.com/albums/l579/Kris_Duensing/mar9003.jpg

Uh oh. Run a quick set of tests which are:

Salinity: 1.026
PH: 8.3
Amm: 0
No2: 0
No3: under 5ppm
Alk: 7

Ok looks good. This is typically what the nem looks like so I was a bit shocked when I saw the above.

http://i1124.photobucket.com/albums/l579/Kris_Duensing/9jan11017.jpg

Not doing aything drastic since I can see it back in the rocks I leave for work. I came home at lunch and the tank still looked the same as the morning that's when I took the first picture above. When I got home from work this is what I see and is still pretty much the same.

http://i1124.photobucket.com/albums/l579/Kris_Duensing/mar9006.jpg

So now that the back story is out of the way on to the question. Would the DE Phoenix bulbs being run on the HQI setting put out more PAR then the Radiums and thus start the moving towards the light? The nem was introduced on the 20th of November and hasn't moved more than an inch to the left or right during this time. It just seems wierd that it would travel probably 15 inches around a rock to move 4 inches to left of it's previous position but more towards the light.

All responses are appreciated.

this is me
03/09/2011, 08:13 PM
This of course depends on how good the reflectors are but I'm always under the impression that DE puts out more light than SE in the same reflector.
Where is the anemone foot? Is it in the sand or on the rock?

greech
03/09/2011, 08:20 PM
Definitely could have been he new bulb. Mine moved right after I swapped out 2 of my 4 T5's for new bulbs. I have seen pictures that Todd posted that show a haddoni shrink very small and hide under the sand. I think he said that it can happen really quick. Maybe they can move better/quicker when they're small? It looks good in the new spot. Hope it continues to do well for you. Beautiful nem.

kduen
03/09/2011, 08:56 PM
This of course depends on how good the reflectors are but I'm always under the impression that DE puts out more light than SE in the same reflector.
Where is the anemone foot? Is it in the sand or on the rock?

I would agree with this but it is kind of the opposite. Crappy 4x8 reflector in a lighting fixture to a 14.5x14.5 reflector of way better quality. The foot currently is trying to work its way out towards the front of the tank between two rocks that have about a 1.5 inch gap between them. I cant really see too much since the front "flap" is dangling in front of the gap but last time i was able to see it it was right at the surface of the sand. You can kind of see it in the last pic.

Definitely could have been he new bulb. Mine moved right after I swapped out 2 of my 4 T5's for new bulbs. I have seen pictures that Todd posted that show a haddoni shrink very small and hide under the sand. I think he said that it can happen really quick. Maybe they can move better/quicker when they're small? It looks good in the new spot. Hope it continues to do well for you. Beautiful nem.

Thank you. Thats kind of the confusing part. When I noticed it this morning it was normally inflated for a lights out (if that makes sense). It is a big open cave behind where it normally resides and it can fit completely inside of it fully inflated if it wanted. When I came home for lunch it was normally expanded for a lights on scenario. So it has done all of this moving around while normally inflated. I actually purposed the acclimation of the lighting to Todd and he said that this might happen but was more refering to it moving from increased light and bleaching. It's kind of doing the opposite at least right now.