PDA

View Full Version : when taking tank shots...

xdannyxrocksx
03/10/2011, 11:26 AM
what settings are you guys using?
what mode are you guys shooting in?

any other useful information i can obtain from the photographers that have been doing this for a while? i remember being redirected to a reef photography site that had some tips and explanation of tank photography, anybody have the link to that site?

returnofsid
03/10/2011, 02:56 PM
I shoot everything in Manual Mode. I adjust settings, as needed, to get a proper exposure/depth of field. I typically aim for an exposure a step or two left of center.

macclellan
03/10/2011, 11:50 PM
I typically aim for an exposure a step or two left of center. huh? do you mean stop or two underexposed?
you can't literally mean you always expose for the left of the center of the photograph.

Reef Bass
03/11/2011, 07:33 AM
Shoot in manual. Save in RAW. White balance during post. Use a tripod and timer or remote shutter release. Turn off pumps. Shoot straight through the glass. Clean up the marine snow in pics.

Ximina's site (http://ximinasphotography.com/lessons/index.html)

returnofsid
03/11/2011, 12:50 PM
huh? do you mean stop or two underexposed?
you can't literally mean you always expose for the left of the center of the photograph.

Exposing "left of center" has nothing to do with the center of the photograph, no. That has to do with the exposure 'graph' that you see in your view finder. Center, on the graph, is what the camera is telling you is "proper exposure." I actually expose a step or two, to the left of center, on the graph. So, I'm actually slightly 'under exposing' the shot. Seems to work out better, with our lighting, which is difficult for some cameras to figure out.

xtm
03/11/2011, 01:57 PM
In addition, it's also best to shoot parallel to the glass, on a sturdy tripod. I shoot in Manual, slightly underexpose by 2-3 stops to preserve highlights, and bring up shadow areas in post. Most tanks have a very wide dynamic range (about 10 stops) between the well-lit areas and the shadow areas.