PDA

View Full Version : Help! I need advice.

travisw30
03/10/2011, 03:49 PM
Yes i am pretty new at reefing. I made a mistake. I buit a sump with 2 baffles.
However iused GE II silicone which is mold resistant. Ive noticed since i added it one frag of SS died pretty quick. Rapid tissue loss. now most of my sps polyps are receeding and slightly loosing color. Now im sure (after some research i know i know should have done that first)its the silicone leaching into the water. Well the mold resistant part of it. I need expert advice. Can i just seal over with aquarium silicone or do i need to take it out and completly redo all the silicone? Thanks for the help!

travisw30
03/10/2011, 04:03 PM
Oh and how long should i let it setup before i pt it back inline?

gods child
03/10/2011, 07:07 PM
you realy cant use GE II it has antibacterils in it the onely one you should use is GE I an doesnt bond as well as GE I

1st timer
03/10/2011, 08:59 PM
take it offline yesterday.... re do it with correct silicone. i would wait a week to let cure fully. In meantime you could put a rubbermaid tote in for temp sump.
I think a few water changes would be in order as well.

travisw30
03/13/2011, 09:51 AM
Yeah i took it off immediately when i noticed my sps dulling in color. Ive learned the hard way that you need to listen to your corals, they tell you like it is unlike some test kits. I have a 20g sump that i just put under for the time being. So i got the all glass aqurium silicone and redid it now im waiting. Its been 48hrs. What should i do now? Run water and vineger in it just water, ect....?

Oildalemonkey
03/13/2011, 11:26 AM
Hey Travis, did you remove ALL the old silicone first? If you did, I wouldn't imagine anything being leftover from the GE II remainimg to cause anymore problems; but to be sure, a vinegar bath couldn't hurt.

travisw30
03/14/2011, 10:43 PM
Craig! What are you doing here? Haha. Yeah I will do a vinegar bath and let my corals regain there color before I try and put it back online.

Oildalemonkey
03/14/2011, 10:55 PM
Craig! What are you doing here? Haha. Yeah I will do a vinegar bath and let my corals regain there color before I try and put it back online.Us guys with no home reef club gotta play all sides! The advantage of being in Bakersfield (?) is I'm equally close to the CVR, CCRK, and So Cal reef clubs. ;)

Oh yeah, I'm also here to try to learn all I can. :D

travisw30
03/17/2011, 11:38 PM
Haha nice. I like it here to learn as well. Only visit every few days though.