PDA

View Full Version : Is this MH BS???

Stanley-Reefer
03/10/2011, 04:25 PM
Got my routine replacements of mh for my tanks 2 150w phoenix and 3 250w.

Come home today and 1 250 is not lit. I check and it's in all the way, put it in another pendant and it won't fire. Put the old one in and it lights right up.

Call customer service and I'm told "it's not uncommon for a bulb to flicker or not even light at all for the first few days. This is the burn in period."

I've never heard or had this happen before! Burn in period is the hours it takes for a bulb to settle into its rated kelvin color--not no light at all.

Anybody else? This is from one of the big companies--I've had no problems with in the past.

sirreal63
03/10/2011, 04:46 PM
I have never had one refuse to light out of the box, but I did have a Hamilton 14K last about 3 months and toasted internally. It should fire up, if it doesn't it is dead. Call back and speak to a manager, what you were told is not reasonable.

Stanley-Reefer
03/10/2011, 04:55 PM
Only thing I didn't try was turning it around and damn if it didn't work! Go figure!

tom obrecht
03/10/2011, 05:35 PM
Only thing I didn't try was turning it around and damn if it didn't work! Go figure!

Never fails you try something like that AFTER you posted the question!:lolspin: I've done that a few times myself.

sirreal63
03/10/2011, 06:10 PM
Nothing like a good connection, glad it worked.

returnofsid
03/10/2011, 06:13 PM
With 150W DE bulbs, there is a "nipple" on the bulb, usually centered. This nipple does need to face "UP" for the bulb to fire properly. I had one that would fire, but was really GREEN, until I turned it around. I've never heard of one that didn't fire though.

Stanley-Reefer
03/10/2011, 07:55 PM
The tech said something of a nipple, but the one that was not firing was the 250.

What I noticed was the metal thingy inside was the other way on that pendant. :spin2: