PDA

View Full Version : Tiny fast moving white worms - ID?

trondsbr
03/10/2011, 08:33 PM
I noticed these little guys along the substrate in one area of the aquarium today after I fed the tank. I did extensive searching and cannot pinpoint what these are. I am pretty sure they aren't a type of flat worm due to shape and size. I do not see them on or near any corals so I am hoping they are beneficial inhabitants. Thanks for looking, and thanks ahead of time to anyone that can help ID these.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yh2XYimpUnA

Tank: 90 gal
Lighting: Maxspect G2-160
Various SPS, LPS, and Softies
Bubble Magus Doser
ReefKeeper Elite

Agu
03/10/2011, 08:38 PM
Never seen anything like it but it's not flatworms. Very cool video btw.

100%hydrophylic
03/10/2011, 08:40 PM
im 90% sure ive seen those in my tank and im also pretty sure that they are harmless. i just clump them in the "i dont feel like trying to id this because its so small and never hurts anything" category. this category includes several other weird bugs that live in my sand, and all the different types of pods that i dont feel like trying to ID.

if there were a gradient ranging from tank killer to the best hitchiker you could get, i would rank what you got between harmless and somewhat beneficial.

I do find it strange, however, that there are so many in one cluster. i only ever see them like 1 or two at a time. them move just as fast though. strange.
:)

trondsbr
03/10/2011, 08:40 PM
Thanks Agu, I looked at peanut works, bristle worms, and just about everything else I could find by searching google, wet web media, and here on RC. Couldn't find anything similar. Their behavior and speed is what gets me, they are fast like copepods.

trondsbr
03/10/2011, 08:45 PM
Also if you notice in the video there are some very very small ones, possibly a spawning party of sorts.

kingfisher62
03/10/2011, 08:49 PM
Great video for such a close up! Yeah some sort of pod I have seen them also. Looks like ya got a little population explosion. Probably good fish food.

Here is where a microscope would come in handy.

SushiGirl
03/10/2011, 08:50 PM
I have those too, but haven't been able to ID them yet either.

trondsbr
03/10/2011, 09:08 PM
Thanks kingfisher, I recently got myself a Nikon D3100 and it takes amazing photos as well as good HD 1080p video. I may pull some out and take them to the my university biology professor to see what she can come up with. I will post back with her results when I get them.

dan-in-gr
03/10/2011, 09:17 PM
Hi, I had them in my 180, I consider them good as they are a food source for fish and maybe some soft corals. Never had any hard from them.

Fun thing to do is take a flash light with a red filter with lights off at night (also lights off in room) and you will be amazed at whats swimming in the tank!