PDA

View Full Version : Please identify what this is......

slorockrawlertd
03/10/2011, 10:28 PM
First off if this is like any other forum I have ever been on let criticism begin, hahah.

Stats on the tank and its contents:
55 gal tank
Canister filter
Seaclone skimmer (yes the skimmer works)
~ 125lbs of live rock
60 lbs of sand and

1 Dogface Puffer
1 Huma Huma
1 Volition Lion (blah blah can’t mix triggers and lions I know but it works)
1 Snowflake eel
1 Engineer Goby
2 Blennys
1 Pencil urchin
1 Thriving Goniopora
1 Chocolate Chip Star
1 Sand Sifting Star
1 Starburst Anemone
A bunch of Hermits
A few Sally Light Foots
A couple Snails
And lastly, but definitely not least;
1 BAMF Green Chromis (it thinks it’s a trigger)

So my question, I have these brittle star looking things on the glass of my tank. I think might be some type of parasite. I don’t think they are brittles because some have 4 legs and some have up to 8, they all vary. There are probably thousands of them... I ask because my lion fish is sloughing its mucus coat about once a week. Any ideas what these little things might be?

Yes it sounds like there is a lot of life in the tank, but honestly everything is pretty small except for the lion (maybe 5 inches). Don’t worry 120 gal tank is in the works as a replacement and this is just one of 5 tanks in the house.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Todd

slorockrawlertd
03/10/2011, 10:34 PM
Oh and forgot to mention, there is also a cuttle in a net breeder.

It hatched in my tank on the the 23rd of February and is looking excellent. I will be setting up another tank for it soon.

achillesheel
03/10/2011, 10:50 PM
sounds like asterina starfish. pretty harmless but a pain to get rid of.

slorockrawlertd
03/10/2011, 11:04 PM
Not asterinas, these things look like a brittle but are almost microscopic. They have a larger center body with what looks like small tentacles or arms.

I would say they are about 1/16 the size of asterinas.

achillesheel
03/10/2011, 11:07 PM
hmm... not sure. got a pic?

slorockrawlertd
03/10/2011, 11:14 PM
Tried to take a pic but they are literally smaller than a grain of sand. I clean the front of the tank daily and within an hour there are a few hundred more on the glass. Picture ich on feshwater fish but with legs and not on the fish.

SkullV
03/10/2011, 11:22 PM
Its all the microfauna trying to get out of your RIDICULOUSLY overstocked tank. In all seriousness though they sounds like some sort of pods. I am doubting the truthfulness of this post though.

slorockrawlertd
03/10/2011, 11:29 PM
Post is real and i know it sounds RIDICULOUSLY overstocked but in all honesty its not that bad. Just did more water tests and nothing is even close to being out of parameters. Its not like i don't know what I am talking about, I just am having a hard time believing that they are just brittles because there are so many. And again the Lion slough mucus about once a week ( i have reads this happens maybe once a month in the wild if even?).

SkullV
03/10/2011, 11:35 PM
No, it is that overstocked no matter what way you look at it and no matter what excuses you want to make for your livestock selections. You have 2 fish in that tank that are going to have difficulty even turning around when they are fully grown. Being able to keep up with water parameters and providing fish with healthy long term homes are very different things. Your fish must be pretty small though since that dogface and huma huma will without any doubt eat all of your crabs, snails and possibly starfish when they get more then a couple inches big. The sand sifting star is doomed as well with a sandbed that small, it is quickly going to run out of things to eat.

Like I said they are probably some sort of pods as brittles/other types of microstars will not show up and reproduce that quickly.

slorockrawlertd
03/10/2011, 11:50 PM
Once again will be moving to a bigger tank shortly. As far as pods... any idea what type or how to get rid of would be great. And just googled microfauna and no its not that. Once again LOOKS EXACTLY LIKE A TINY BRITTLE WITH 4 TO 8 LEGS. oh and they are white.

SkullV
03/11/2011, 12:03 AM
Microfauna is a large diverse group of small creatures that will populate the tank, but you know what you are talking about so you know that I'm sure.

According to a quick google search (typed tiny white brittle star) it is possible that what you are seeing IS tiny micro-brittles. If they are pods your fish will eat them and the population will keep itself in check.

P.S. a 120 is still way too small for your livestock list. Good luck with your tank.

slorockrawlertd
03/11/2011, 12:04 AM
And as far as the dogface and huma huma are concerned the snails and crabs are simply in there to be food. The choclate chip star came from another tank with some harlequin shrimp in it so its missing 2 legs anyways. And I have a hard time beliving the sand sifter will die since the puffer is such a messy eater. This is probly why the gonipora is doing well.

DoubleM 10
03/11/2011, 10:43 AM
First off if this is like any other forum I have ever been on let criticism begin, hahah.

Stats on the tank and its contents:
55 gal tank
Canister filter
Seaclone skimmer (yes the skimmer works)
~ 125lbs of live rock
60 lbs of sand and

1 Dogface Puffer
1 Huma Huma
1 Volition Lion (blah blah can’t mix triggers and lions I know but it works)
1 Snowflake eel
1 Engineer Goby
2 Blennys
1 Pencil urchin
1 Thriving Goniopora
1 Chocolate Chip Star
1 Sand Sifting Star
1 Starburst Anemone
A bunch of Hermits
A few Sally Light Foots
A couple Snails
And lastly, but definitely not least;
1 BAMF Green Chromis (it thinks it’s a trigger)

So my question, I have these brittle star looking things on the glass of my tank. I think might be some type of parasite. I don’t think they are brittles because some have 4 legs and some have up to 8, they all vary. There are probably thousands of them... I ask because my lion fish is sloughing its mucus coat about once a week. Any ideas what these little things might be?

Yes it sounds like there is a lot of life in the tank, but honestly everything is pretty small except for the lion (maybe 5 inches). Don’t worry 120 gal tank is in the works as a replacement and this is just one of 5 tanks in the house.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Todd

o wow

Playerdrm
03/11/2011, 11:37 AM
P.S. a 120 is still way too small for your livestock list. Good luck with your tank.

+1

That stocking list just seems absurd even for a 120. Sure you can keep water quality up, but what about room for the fish, that can't be a very enjoyable enviroment to live in. I also feel sorry for that lion cause even though it's working for you now it most likely won't in the long run.

olemiss reb
03/11/2011, 12:04 PM
http://www.notlehs.com/reef/salt6/pest.jpg
is that it? hydroid jelly

slorockrawlertd
03/11/2011, 04:33 PM
Again yes it sound like alot, however everything is small rite now about 1" except the lion which is almost 4.5" nose to end of tail and it pays no attention to its other tank mates, the snowflake is about 6". The snowflake will get its own tank when its time (we have no shortage of xtra tanks at this house). The cuttle fish gets its own tank here in a few weeks as well.

From what i can tell yes they do look like hydroid jellys. I have been doing research on them and cant find any real good information about them. Will the chromis eat them? How would one go about getting rig if them?

Again Thanks.

rssjsb
03/11/2011, 10:00 PM
If they're really hydroids, they'll go away on their own. They tend to "bloom" in new tanks and then crash, but I don't think it will have any adverse effect on your tank.

Musbtr1pin
03/12/2011, 10:47 AM
Microfauna is a large diverse group of small creatures that will populate the tank, but you know what you are talking about so you know that I'm sure.

According to a quick google search (typed tiny white brittle star) it is possible that what you are seeing IS tiny micro-brittles. If they are pods your fish will eat them and the population will keep itself in check.

Agreed, new tank or not in the future.. You still overstocked, and will probably be overstocked even at 120 if everything survives... A good note is, and what I was taught when I journeyed into this hobby, is to NEVER buy more fish or items that your bioload can successfully handle. Oh, and to never buy a fish just because its small now and it will fit in your tank.. Your stressing the hell out of your fish, regardless if they are only 1 - 2'' long...

I wish you they best of luck, as no one here is trying to obliterate your tank, we're here to help you, and help your fish live long and healthy lives :bounce1:

Try a 180, compared to a 120, the price for me was 50 dollar difference... And rest assured, that tank will be big enough I believe... Giving that your livestock all survives... Thoughts?

Musbtr1pin
03/12/2011, 10:51 AM
And as far as the dogface and huma huma are concerned the snails and crabs are simply in there to be food. The choclate chip star came from another tank with some harlequin shrimp in it so its missing 2 legs anyways.

Missing two legs or not, he is still alive and deserves a fighting chance just like the rest of your inhabitants.. Others just won't have to defend themselves as much as time goes by..

Do yourself a favor, and anything that you don't care that dies, give to someone who will take care of them, and enjoy them for what they are... Maybe even work a trade at the LFS for something you can enjoy that will not be fall prey to some other inhabitant

slorockrawlertd
03/12/2011, 07:19 PM
Missing two legs or not, he is still alive and deserves a fighting chance just like the rest of your inhabitants.. Others just won't have to defend themselves as much as time goes by..

Believe me this house loves every animal in it. However like the large rats we feed our ball python this partcular star fish was bought as a feeder.

Try a 180, compared to a 120, the price for me was 50 dollar difference... And rest assured, that tank will be big enough I believe... Giving that your livestock all survives... Thoughts?

This is possibility as well.