PDA

View Full Version : Red Slime Algae/UV sterilizer

Bontrager
03/11/2011, 08:07 AM
My 66 gal Red Sea Max aquarium developed a case of slime algae about 6 months after set. I was able to get red of it by using a red slime remover product. After that the skimmer in the "max" would go crazy producing micro bubbles and according to Red Sea, it was a reaction to the slime algae remover. They said that I would have to do 50% water changes to get the skimmer to quit producing the micro bubbles.

A couple of questions:

What causes Red Slime Algae
Would a UV sterilizer prevent that form happening?
What if anything can prevent Red Slime Algae

My tank developed a crack in the side and I have to remove all of the water before I got a chance to do the water change.

Thank you; love this forum!

Red Sea replace the tank under warranty.

I am considering setting up this tank again but may go for a rimless design ( shallow reef club).

masonicman
03/11/2011, 08:35 AM
I did a lot of research on this because I had a big problem with this. Stay away from that red slime removal chemical.
Red slime algae is actually not a "true" algae at all, but classified as a cyanobacteria. The name cyanobacteria literally means "blue-green" algae. In order for all forms of algae to grow, they require only two things; light and nutrients. The use of improper bulbs, lack of maintenance, and extended lighting hours are contributors that can lead to all sorts of algae problems. Nutrients: Phosphates (PO 4 ), DOCs (Dissolved Organic Compounds), and nitrates (NO 3 ) are primary nutrient food sources for red and other slime algae.
Good aquarium maintenance care routines! This includes keeping the substrate clean, cutting back on feedings, regularly rinsing, rejuvenating or changing any type of filtering or adsorbing materials (such as filter flosses, cartridges, bio wheels, sponges and carbon), performing regular partial water changes, and for DOCs in particular, adding a protein skimmer, good water flow and no dead spot.

UV Sterilization kills the free floating spores at the right amount of exposure time(water flow across the bulb).

Bontrager
03/11/2011, 03:44 PM
Thank you for the thorough explanation.