PDA

View Full Version : Removing Scratches

Tommy3492
03/11/2011, 01:04 PM
Hey guys,

So i have a oceanic 90 gallon reef with the front glass being star fire.. there are some minor scratches on the glass within the aquarium, and i was wondering if there is a safe way to remove these scratches and than polish up the whole tank so it looks new again. I wanna do it right so any opinons would be greatly appreciated :).

Thanks

ToddG.
03/11/2011, 01:25 PM
Glass i dnt think thiers anyway now i have aqrylic and you can use different grades of sandpaper and novus but its a pain i hate aqrylic scratches terrible be thankfull you only have a few i seem to get a new scratch every day rrrr!

cakemanPA
03/11/2011, 02:25 PM
I purchased some commercial scratch removal materials. It made no difference in my tank. A local glass repair shop may be able to help you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

javisaman
03/11/2011, 03:21 PM
Can you feel the scratches with your nail? If so, there is nothing you can do. If not, you can use jewelers rouge and a buffing machine carefully to get rid of the scratches. However, you may have some marring which can be worse.

barjam
03/11/2011, 03:34 PM
You can use cerium oxide and a huge amount of elbow grease but for something small like a 90 I would just replace.

I fixed two small scratches in my 90 but I would not do it again.

Tommy3492
03/11/2011, 04:48 PM
for sure guys, would you have the link for the commercial compound scratch remover? And if i were to just buff it out and not use sandpaper, would i still have the marring effect? And what about poilishing the glass to get it back up to that shine?

Bamm Bamm
03/11/2011, 04:50 PM
I would leave it. it's not worth ruining a nice starfire tank