PDA

View Full Version : Frogspawn droopy

tnias
03/11/2011, 10:32 PM
Have done SW fish only in the past but new to reef/coral. I purchased a 3 stem frogspawn last week and one of the stems tenticles is droopy. Is this normal or is it mal-nourished?

Tank Stats:
34G Solana
Tunze 9002 w/Steve T Cup protein skimmer (good dark skim mate)
Chempure and Purigen in second chamber
(6)T5HO Nova Extreme Pro
Vortech MP10w
38lbs live rock
30lbs live sand
RO/DI Water
JBJ ATO
Apex Monitor's Sal/Temp/pH
Salinity 35ppm
Ph 7.97
Temp 79-80
Mg - 1485
Ca - 490
Alk - Waiting on test kit to arrive

Tank has been up and running for 4 weeks. Ammonia/Nitrite/Nitrate's have been 0 since week 1.5. I have about 30 snail/hermits that have done a fantastic job on the algae. Already past brown stage and into green. There is a little cyno but figure thats part of the cycle. I have 1 Royal Dottyback as the only fish. The only bad news is I am on my second pepp shrimp. The first one died the first night and the snails ate him before I got home, either bad acclimation or the delay in shipment to the LFS. Just lost my second pepp, I am pretty sure the dottyback killed him cause he kept attacking him.

I knew the dottyback was agressive but my daughter really wanted it. Probably going to give it back when my clownfish get out of QT.

Any advice is helpful.

Thanks

SATAN FISH
03/11/2011, 11:20 PM
I have zero advice for you however, I had a similar situation happen to me. I bought a three head frogspawn from someone. Got it home in the tank and the next day one of the heads was droopy and the other two were fine. The day after that, it looked like it was melting off of the stem it belonged too. Eventually it just fell off and fell to the bottom of the tank. The whole time, the other two heads looked just fine and have been fine since then. Now the two heads turned back into three with the one empty dead stem.

To this day I have no idea what happened. My tank however had been setup for about a year at the time of the purchase.

tnias
03/14/2011, 08:10 PM
So I moved the frogspawn close to the bottom of the tank which isn't much lower than it was and an area with a little more flow and it seems about the same but at night when the lights are off it seems more open than when the lights are on. Is it possible the lights are too strong? I hate to put it in a shady spot cause then it will be kinds hidden in the tank. Any ideas?

almostazoo
03/14/2011, 08:18 PM
that stalk may have got bumped or pinched in the trip home? have to doubt light, flow and water quality if the other two are doing well.

Skeptic_07
03/14/2011, 08:21 PM
peppermint shrimps are known to pick at LPS corals. maybe the late peppermints were having some brunch.