PDA

View Full Version : Genesis vs GHL water changes?

dipan
03/12/2011, 01:01 AM
I already have a GHL controller and was planning on using it to do the water changes, daily 5 gallon water changes.

Would there be a benefit for me in using your system? And is there a way to integrate your controller with third party controllers like the GHL, Reefkeeper etc?

The main thing i like about your system is how accurate it seems to be. The metering canisters is a great idea.

GenesisReefSys
03/12/2011, 07:19 AM
Good morning dipan,

Thank you for your question. The RENEW™ and STORM™ do not directly integrate with any other controllers, since there is not much need to do so.

There are many benefits of using the RENEW™ system. As you mentioned, it is extremely accurate with regard to exchange volumes, and it is loaded with redundancy and self-monitoring activity that ensures that the process is going smoothly. Additionally, the control module is extremely simple to use and provides clear feedback to the user concerning progress, and if any "unusual" circumstance arises it will interrupt its own operation and indicate what the issue is.

The RENEW™ also communicates with the STORM™ Specialized Top Off & Replenishment Module, coordinating the operation of the two systems. When the RENEW™ initiates an exchange cycle, the STORM™ recognizes that one gallon of water is being intentionally removed from the sump and does not attempt to top off with fresh water.

All in all - I think you'd be very pleased to own and use the RENEW™! No buckets to lift, no spills to clean up, and no more putting the water changes off until later! Your corals, fish, and critters would benefit from frequent water changes, more stable concentrations of trace elements, no large pH, salinity or temperature swings associated with water changes.

If you have any more questions, please feel free to PM me, call, or shoot me an email via our contact page at www.GenesisReefSystems.com/contact.php.

Have a good day,
Kevin

Paradiddle7
07/15/2011, 03:07 PM
I have a question. Since I have to hook this up to a new salt water source and since this source is diminishing (level of water getting lower over time) PLUS density INCREASING over time as water evaporates, wouldn't I be adding more and more dense saltwater as time goes on? How do you combat this?

GenesisReefSys
07/16/2011, 06:04 AM
I have a question. Since I have to hook this up to a new salt water source and since this source is diminishing (level of water getting lower over time) PLUS density INCREASING over time as water evaporates, wouldn't I be adding more and more dense saltwater as time goes on? How do you combat this?

Hello Paradiddle7,

It is certainly conceivable that over a long period of time enough water could evaporate from your salt water mixing bin to slightly raise the salinity of your replacement water. We recommend using a mixing bin with a cover or small manway opening if you intend to mix a very large volume of salt water for use over an extended period of time. This is particularly helpful if you have a strong circulation pump constantly running in your mixing bin that creates surface turbulence and accelerates evaporation.

Thanks for the question!

Paradiddle7
07/16/2011, 12:04 PM
It would be interesting to have some research on this so that we would know the optimum size of the saltwater reservoir and time to complete the water change in before the dynamics of the density of the refill water change.

For me, I would have to invest in another density probe for my controller and then use some RODI topoff to keep the density of the refill reservoir constant. That would add another $150-$200 to the setup for the sensore, module and pump though.

GenesisReefSys
07/16/2011, 02:13 PM
It would be interesting to have some research on this so that we would know the optimum size of the saltwater reservoir and time to complete the water change in before the dynamics of the density of the refill water change.

For me, I would have to invest in another density probe for my controller and then use some RODI topoff to keep the density of the refill reservoir constant. That would add another $150-$200 to the setup for the sensore, module and pump though.

Hi Paradiddle7,

While that could certainly be done, it really isn't necessary unless you anticipate a very large rate of evaporation from your mixing bin. By using a container with a small opening such as the one shown below for your mixing bin, you can drastically reduce the amount of evaporation that occurs. The amount that the salinity increases due to this small amount of evaporation is going to be minute, but I would still suggest checking the salinity of the replacement water with a high quality refractometer during the course of your weekly tank maintenance regimen. You can always adjust it with a bit of RO water if you're unhappy with the reading.

The mixing bin shown in the photo is a 40 gallon vessel as memory serves, and has a small manway on the top through which the transfer pump, circulation pump, and level sensors are inserted. As I recall, this is used for a 25% monthly water change on a 130 gallon system.

Hope this helps!
Kevin

http://i849.photobucket.com/albums/ab51/GenesisReefSys/Setups/AutomationSetup001.jpg

Paradiddle7
07/16/2011, 08:20 PM
Awesome... I'd be satisfied with that. I'm assuming that the salt water is probably mixed in another vessel and then put into that container.

Now I just have to find a way to hide the money from my wife!

GenesisReefSys
07/17/2011, 09:54 AM
Awesome... I'd be satisfied with that. I'm assuming that the salt water is probably mixed in another vessel and then put into that container.

Hi Paradiddle,

The water is actually mixed right in that 40 gallon container with the tubes going through the small opening, and is drawn from there into one of the 1 gallon black metering reservoirs mounted above it as needed.

Now I just have to find a way to hide the money from my wife!

Can't help you there! :lol: