PDA

View Full Version : Something on clown fish

tnias
03/12/2011, 09:07 AM
I have 2 clowns in QT and just noticed something on its side. Doesn't look like ich but wanted to get an idea so if it needs treatment I can start. Sorry for the bad picture but I can't get it to come close or sit still.

It is possible it was there originally but I don't remember.

Thanks

http://i936.photobucket.com/albums/ad209/Scottaia2004/IMG_0510.jpg
http://i936.photobucket.com/albums/ad209/Scottaia2004/IMG_0509.jpg

Lynnmw1208
03/12/2011, 09:24 AM
hard to tell from the pic tbo it's really blurry

SaltwaterAdict
03/12/2011, 09:26 AM
Yeah, not sure what your talking about. Can you describe where the problem lies exactly? Is it the first white strip on the clown. It may just be a marking. All clowns have different markings which make them unique, could simply be that.

tnias
03/12/2011, 10:22 AM
It is the first stripe on the right side. It almost looks like a piece of skin was scratched and the flap of skin is still attached. My wife said the cat was looking down on the tank so its possible he got a piece of it.

http://i936.photobucket.com/albums/ad209/Scottaia2004/th_IMG_0511.jpg (http://s936.photobucket.com/albums/ad209/Scottaia2004/?action=view&current=IMG_0511.mp4)

Here is a video that might help. I have an earlier video that shows it clean so it is definately new.

Thanks for taking the time to look at it. I am going to get a glass top for the tank today to keep the cat away just in case he did get a swipe.

Sorry for the bad pictures but I can't get him to come close for a shot and have been trying for an hour.

GhostCon1
03/12/2011, 10:27 AM
Appears to be swimming fine, no apparent breathing problems, swimming about, not hiding. All of these are good signs.

Is it eating?

I would say it might just be an abrasion.

smtank
03/12/2011, 10:31 AM
Can you look at it closely with a magnifying glass and see if it is a parasite such as a cirolanid or fluke?

RcToners
03/12/2011, 10:51 AM
It almost looks like a bite mark from what I'm guessing is the female

tnias
03/12/2011, 11:18 AM
If its a bite mark should I worry or is that just angry love? :)

Sk8r
03/12/2011, 11:39 AM
Clowns are among the most aggressive of damsels---and their mating involves biting and sometimes killing an unready mate (not to mention bystanders). The percs are pretty gentle: the most aggressive are the red clowns of various type. If the larger fish has started to sex, she will assert dominance. And it will be she. That's also characteristic of clowns: they don't know what gender they are until they start to pair, and the larger will become female. If the female should die, then the male will become female toward the next-arriving small clown. Some clowns have had offspring first as the father, and then the next batch as the mother.
and [welcome]

tnias
03/12/2011, 11:50 AM
So I guess just watch and see if it heals then?

Lynnmw1208
03/12/2011, 02:24 PM
is that a marineland stealth heater? if so make sure it's not one that was recalled because they explode.

RcToners
03/12/2011, 02:34 PM
So I guess just watch and see if it heals then?

Yes just watch to be sure it heals, it will take some time. Just be sure that the female (the larger of the two) is not chasing and biting the male excessively. What will more than likely happen if the female chases the male is that the male will twitch or shake at her (it will look like a seizure). This is him showing that he is submissive and she is the boss. This will normally end most the agressive behavior from the female.

tnias
03/12/2011, 05:52 PM
It is a stealth pro but only 50 watts so in theory it's safe. Thanks for the advice everyone.

tnias
03/14/2011, 04:13 PM
So today my poor clown fish has one swollen eye. It doesn't look cloudy so I don't think it's popeye. He is a little sluggish and not eating well. Is the dominant clown beating up on him or could it be something else?

I read that you should put epsom salt in the tank. If that's true can you get that at the grocery store or somewhere else?

tnias
03/16/2011, 04:08 PM
Well to anyone that was following it looks like the smaller clown has successfully paired with the dominate female. It was a rough couple days with both eyes swollen, another bite mark, and cowering in the corner not eating for 2 days but finally he is swimming again and eating. Thanks for the information about their pairing and sex changing.

A couple more weeks to heal then in the DT where I hope the royal dottyback doesn't claim the whole tank and they can live in general peace.

carpenterman23
03/16/2011, 06:10 PM
glad it worked out... hope he heals up quick