PDA

View Full Version : less known reefsafe fish that will be appropriate for a new tank

Sk8r
03/12/2011, 01:08 PM
1. dartfish---1 per 50 gallon, and they do jump. Firefish, barred dartfish, scissortails, etc.
2. pygmy wrasses---1 per tank. Require careful water attention.
3. fairy wrasses and flasher wrasses.
4. jawfish, several varieties
5. basslets
6. damsels: usually get one of a kind, and they do require a 50 gallon for 2-3 small species, 100 gallons for larger and more aggressive sorts. You can keep them with clowns, which are also damsels.
7. royal gramma
8. blennies---do not generally combine the fanged blennies, which may nip other blennies and clams, with the combtooth sorts. Not all blennies get along together: the starry will, with the tailspot. And the starry is the next best thing to a cuttlefish: its rapid black,white, brown color changes have to be seen in action to be believed.
9. dottybacks with extreme caution: they have diabolical cunning, are aggressive, and meaner than a junkyard dog, but they don't get big. If you have a situation that requires a fish that can hold its own, they are colorful, but be aware they learn traps with one try, are highly intelligent, and can require a tank-unbuild to get them out.

I offer this just to jostle folk out of the Usual Suspects list. If you look fish up on the internet, you can get some nice pix and good info.

SushiGirl
03/12/2011, 01:11 PM
Black cardinalfish.

jcw
03/12/2011, 01:19 PM
bellus, lamarck's, and swallowtail angelfish

zoster butterfly, possibly the maginalis

Sorry, they might not be best beginner fish but reef safe

Sk8r
03/12/2011, 02:23 PM
Good notation, and thanks for adding that.
The best thing is to have a tank that's got 'room to grow' ---because marine fish are sold as hatchlings, nearly---and grow like weeds---and that's got either motion or intrigue. I have both in my own tank: the little blennies and the scooter you have to work to find (but the blennies are watching you, and the scooter could care less: nothing gets their attention)---and my fastmoving, colorful damsels.

kmasonbx
03/12/2011, 02:53 PM
I have a Yellowtail Blue Damsel and was led to believe they wouldn't mix well with my 2 False Perculas which are currently in quarantine. Is this untrue since I have a 55g?

johnike
03/12/2011, 03:06 PM
Sk8r, my 4 yellowtails are doing great going on a couple months now, thanks for the tip.
My Starry Blenny has the most personality of any fish I've ever had. Spectacular when showing off, which is always!!
Now if I can pull off this multiple Dwarf Angel thing I have in the back of my head.....
Thanks as always for your wonderful insight and sharing.

Sk8r
03/12/2011, 03:40 PM
Yellowtail and percs should be fine. If they argue, toss in the distraction of a royal gramma or a single chromis and they should get along. I just don't find the yellowtail or the azure any crankier than a perc. My little azure tries to bully the gramma, but it doesn't work. Then the starry blenny comes through, completely oblivious to the blustering, and they all scatter.

samdaman
03/12/2011, 03:50 PM
R those Pygme wrasses kinda rare? Never seen the only on LA

kmasonbx
03/12/2011, 03:54 PM
Thanks sk8r

Sk8r
03/12/2011, 04:25 PM
Fairly rare on the pygmy wrasses: that's why I added: delicate, be careful. Let's put it this way: if you're an older novice with finance, a background in freshwater and a big state of the art system, you'll love these; if you're very young and have never had chemistry or biology and are making do without a sump or skimmer, DON'T get these, because if you make mistakes it can be serious with these less hardy fish. These are very shy (for wrasses), and should not be kept with large rambunctious fishes.

C0rp
03/13/2011, 02:48 PM
I was wondering if a starry blenny would be compatible w my midas blenny? 75 G, 100 lbs of rock. I see starry blennies and they intrigue me.

Sk8r
03/13/2011, 03:06 PM
I'm not sure. The midas (a fanged blenny) might nip---but the starry is larger, and the midas might think twice. The midas is one I've never heard of being combative. Ask in Reef Fishes if the midas is well-behaved.