PDA

View Full Version : LED question

sowellj
03/12/2011, 01:25 PM
Right now I am running 3-400w halides, 20K on the sides and a 10K in the middle. I have an old oceanic 180 that uses a large pane of glass over the center of the tank for bracing, hence the 10K in the middle for the extra par. I tried using t5s for some actinic supplementation, but this did not work. I have a floating canopy so whatever supplemental lighting I go with is going to sit 14 inches or so off the surface of the water. I was thinking of going w/something like this:
http://www.rapidled.com/servlet/the-144/09-LED-Actinic-Supplement/Detail
as I way to add some blue to the middle of the tank. So .. for the LED guys, do you think these will have enough punch to offset the 10K? Thanks.

sowellj
03/13/2011, 04:38 PM
bump

goofball310
03/13/2011, 07:56 PM
Couple of options:

-Add the LED Supplement

-Switch to a 14k bulb

-Switch to a 20k and make sure to keep the center brace clean

-Cut out the center brace and install Euro-Bracing

Shard
03/13/2011, 09:00 PM
It is hard to judge. I have never used 400w MH so I have no basis to compare. I am inclined to say no. You may need a lot more LEDs than you think to offset the difference.

Have you used a PAR meter to check the difference between areas of your tank that are uncovered and the area that is covered with the glass? Remember to check at the same depth and orientation from the light. It may not be as much as you think.

Hope this helps,
Landon