PDA

View Full Version : Is my leather dying ?

Flcorals
03/12/2011, 01:34 PM
Hi,
Can any one tell me whats up with my leather. It was fine up till about a week ago. It has not opened at all recently. I have attached before and after photos. The only problem with my water is the phospahes are high which I am now controlling, otherwise all OK.
Thanks

Carpentersreef
03/12/2011, 06:15 PM
Leathers will occasionally close up like that. It helps them process out their waste. It's probably not too happy either with that snail or crab on there.

Mitch

Michael
03/12/2011, 11:56 PM
I would remove the snail for sure, that is not helping, and leathers do close up every so often then come out again, they shed skin too at times and wilt and bend in the tank, I think that snail is the reason as he is right on top of it.

AaronM
03/13/2011, 12:56 AM
Unless the snails been on the coral for a week, maybe its not the problem.

High phsophate could be the problem, if it increased before/during the week the coral closed up....should be undetectable with regular test kits anyway.

Shedding could be the reason. IME, shedding can last more than a few days, with a few 'yep all good' + 'argh not done' 's over this period.

Its not nec. a bad thing. I've found the higher the flow, the less the toadstools shed. I guess cos buildup is blown off the crown. But not so much flow the polyps appear dark and retracted...

Flcorals
03/13/2011, 07:18 AM
I have removd the snail but one of them keeps coming back. I will keep you posted if things change, thanks

Michael
03/13/2011, 11:32 AM
I know it will recover, I have 4 leathers and a sinularia which is huge in my tank and I see it often, they are all several years old, it is normal behaviour IMHO.

Flcorals
03/19/2011, 12:27 PM
All is well the leather is fine as you said it would. Its the first time I have seen it shed hence the worry....Thanks