PDA

View Full Version : Need advice with LED selection

ReefRockerLive
03/12/2011, 01:48 PM
After having read many LED threads and figuring out what I can afford for an LED fixture, I have narrowed my choices down to either AI Sol Blue or http://reefkoi.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=20&products_id=1554.

Both fixtures fall in the $500 range and have their pros and cons. What I am looking for is a fixture that I can be assured will provide my Acros with great coloration. Regardless of which fixture, I go with, it will be controlled by the Profilux 3.

I very much like the colors the 200w Evolution 3g brings out in acros. The downside however, is not being dimmable which brings me to wondering whether acros will be shocked with the leds being ramped up to 100%.

For a few dollars more, I could get the AI and have the added bonus of dimmable functiosn and Profilux compatibility.

I've seen tanks with excellent acro coloration under brands such as Pacific Sun, Acan, Maxspect, and Evolution LED. However, I haven't seen enough pictures of acros with excellent coloration to help me jump on it. So any picture with acros under this light would perhaps make the decision a bit easier.

I am open to other led fixture suggestions and an possibly stretch the budget to $600. My tank dimensions will be 36" x 24" x 16"

RRL

hellssephiroth
03/12/2011, 06:39 PM
I just got my Evolution 20k 3Gs yesterday, love them so far. I went with 2 100w ones.

ReefRockerLive
03/12/2011, 11:42 PM
What size tank did you put these on?

jmchzn123
03/13/2011, 12:06 AM
Just set up my AI Sol Blues. Love em....3 units over a 90 Tech Tank (Eurobrace). Using Apex Lite and hung about 9" off the water. AMAZING....(48x18x24)

goofball310
03/13/2011, 12:26 AM
It sounds like you've done your research already and you already know the pro's and con's of both systems.

I'd personally go with the AI system just because of the dimming features. You can use the dimming features for moon lighting simulation with no additional purchase.

For your tank and budget I'd go with Reefkoi because of your tanks dimensions. Unless you plan on purchasing a second AI unit I don't believe it will provide enough light spread from a single unit for a 36" tank.

Anemonebuff
03/13/2011, 11:32 AM
AI is leaps and bounds above, but it will not cover 36". You will need 2, unless you do not mind dim edges(about 4-5" on each end). Or use it until you can afford another.

ReefRockerLive
03/13/2011, 01:49 PM
With two AI fixtures, are my across more likely to color up? If anyone has an AI fixture with excellent across coloration, please post a picture.

votek
03/13/2011, 03:25 PM
the problem with the AI's is that they use optics. The newer units coming out now are moving away from them because of hot spots.

saintsr#1
03/13/2011, 03:26 PM
The more blue in whatever light u get will make you coral color up..

Shard
03/13/2011, 09:34 PM
I have 4 x AI modules over my 90g, but I do not have much Acropora in that tank at the moment. I do have a nondescript Acro that was a dull color and now has some bright purple in the new growth. I could post a picture of that if you want. It looks like it may turn out to be a beautiful colony.

AI is one of the pioneers of LED reef lighting, you can trust their products. They use Cree XP-G and XP-E LEDs, which are proven LEDs. I can't seem to find which LEDs are used in the Evolution fixtures so I really can't do a technical comparison.

I do see that Evolution used 460nm blues and warm whites. The new AI Sol Super Blue uses two different blues, one around 445nm and the other around 465nm, plus whites, which gives you a little broader light spectrum spread. Just for reference chlorophyll A has two reactive peaks, one at 465nm and the other at 665nm. So you want to have lighting that covers both peaks well, as well as the rest of the 400-700nm range.

Between the AI Sol and AI Sol Super Blue, you made the right choice, as I feel the regular Sol has too much white.

Here is the link to another option. The Reef Filtration 120W LED fixture which combines 6500k, 10000K, blue, and royal blue LEDs, all for $300 right now. I have not seen it in person, but the varying combination appeals to me. Lower Kelvin light sources I think have a b

http://www.shop.clayboa.com/category.sc?categoryId=5

If you have any specific questions I may be able to help.

Landon

Acrotrdco
03/13/2011, 10:31 PM
OP:

With your $600 budget, if you want to get a LED fixture that's bright enough for SPS for your 36"x24"x16" tank, I'd recommend Maxspect 160w, I'm using 2 of those on my 40" SPS dominated and you can take a look at my thread for some ideas.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums//showthread.php?t=1929512&page=7

ReefRockerLive
03/14/2011, 10:42 AM
Thanks Landon for the informative post. Considering what you've mentioned about covering the 400-700nm range and Acrotrdco's Maxspect suggestion, I think this 160w Maxspect may be the better choice. It appears that I get to swap out the leds and customize it to cover a wider nm than what AI or Evolution currently offers.

The results of this fixture almost has me sold.

Useful_Idiot
03/15/2011, 05:46 AM
I have a single AI over a 40 breeder about 18" above the water and it doesn't quite cover my tank, I'm hoping it will get me by until I can get another. awesome light though. personally I wouldn't get one I couldn't dim. To be able to have it gradually ramp up intensity to peak seems worth the cost to me. All my good sps are in the center of the tank for now. I have a purple tip acro that's coloring up really well, but I'm just learning how to keep my tank stable so that's a factor. Seems like you made up your mind,but your not too far from me, if you wanna stop over to see it your welcome to. It'd be an excuse to go to PC you'd be more than halfway there.If you haven't been in awhile they have the smaller evolution leds there which you also aren't too interested in anymore. But maybe seeing those spectrums in person could help your decision.

hellssephiroth
03/19/2011, 07:58 AM
They are on my 48x24x24 sorry it took so long to respond. I'll show a pic here in a few minutes.
http://i446.photobucket.com/albums/qq185/Hellssephiroth/IMG_0010.jpg
http://i446.photobucket.com/albums/qq185/Hellssephiroth/IMG_0008-1.jpg

hellssephiroth
03/19/2011, 08:08 AM
its a little less blue than that that is almost what it looks like with only the blues on.... and ya sorry battling cyano right now that is slowly going away......

ReefRockerLive
03/19/2011, 08:38 AM
Thanks for the pics. I have run into an awesome deal on a maxspect g2-170w, 500. I would like to modify the overall coloration to a hint of blue and some red. Any suggestions?