PDA

View Full Version : reeflo pump

fishytoo
03/12/2011, 02:24 PM
Are reeflo pumps a good choice?

slief
03/12/2011, 02:43 PM
I run a Reelfo Hammerhead for my return pump which also runs water to my chiller as well as my reactors and a Reeflo Dart that is my closed loop and UV pump. They are extremely powerful, quiet and very efficient. In my opinion, they are one of the best all around pumps and I have found them to be very reliable. They also run much cooler than a comparable Iwaki, Little Giant or similar pump.

The only thing that ever really goes wrong with them are seals and the only time I have had a bad seal is when I bought a used Reeflo. Keep in mind that seals can and will go bad on any pump. Especially the larger ones so I wouldn't let that be a deturrant. Seals are also very easy and cheap to replace provided you make your pump servicable when you install it by having ball valves and unions before and after. In my case, I can remove either of my Reeflo pumps in a minute or two by closing a pair of valves and opening 2 unions.
http://i390.photobucket.com/albums/oo347/shleif/Tanks/Sump%20rr/Pumps2.jpg

Prior to my Reeflo pumps, I had four large Lim Wave pumps which are koi pond pumps with special seals along with an Iwaki 100RLT which was dedicated to running water out the chiller 50' away in the Garage. The Wave pumps were pretty powerful and pretty quiet but seals were an occasional issue. I made it a point to keep spare pumps on hand just in case one needed service.

My two Reeflo's run rings around all of those combined and cut my power usage by more than half while also reducing my cooling bill as these pumps run much cooler. I still keep a spare pump on hand as I have to much invested in my tank and have learned the hard way over the last 20+ years of keeping large tanks.

PSU REEFER
03/13/2011, 09:34 AM
Have a Hammerhead that runs my manifold and never had a problem w/ it so far--running 8 months now 24/7. Quiet and powerful.

robrich342
03/13/2011, 09:54 AM
They are hard to beat quality/price especially when you need a lot of head height.:beer::beer:

snorvich
03/13/2011, 10:25 AM
I have three Hammerhead and use them to pump from the basement to the first floor. No issues.

MplsMan
03/13/2011, 10:49 AM
i run the Reeflow Tarpon on my set up i have the sump room in the basement that runs about 12' to the tank. i have a manifold that feeds my refugium, gfo/carbon, now, it has no problem supplying to the tank, the pump only draws 128 watts 24/7, which is very low compared to the specks they list.
they told me the farther away from the tank the lower the wattage.
my pump is also whisper quiet and runs very cool.