PDA

View Full Version : Carbon/GFO Question

andythorntonjr
03/12/2011, 06:58 PM
I'm thinking about getting a reactor going for multiple reasons, the only problem is in deciding between a single reactor, two, or getting the BRS dual reactor. My tank is going through its cyano outbreak phase right now (all readings are good on the water and I've shortened the day on the lights to 5 hours). That said, the tank is going to have sea horses in a couple months so a more "dirty" inhabitant.

That said, which would be preferable here? I can see the dual reactor setup being useful for a larger tank setup, but its my understanding you do not want to run carbon 24/7? I thought of perhaps doing a single reactor (GFO probably to help most on the cyano?), then switch it out with carbon every few weeks for a couple days. Or just biting the bullet and getting 2 reactors and say 'done'.

Thoughts from the more seasoned reefers? Is the dual chamber (24/7) GFO/Carbon setup good? Is it more preferable to do two individual reactors and run one or the other frequently rather than constantly? Advise on this would be greatly appreciated! Hoping to order something this weekend so it'll be set up this coming week.

Thanks!

Nexenn
03/12/2011, 07:20 PM
I dont like having so many things plugged in and space is an issue for me, i have the dual BRS reactor and its awesome.

If you are planning on getting it soon shoot me a PM, I'm running a group buy for BRS this next week. Shoot me yor BRS email login and your last name and you'll get the best prices they can deliver

andythorntonjr
03/12/2011, 07:27 PM
Nexenn,

Do you have any issues with running Carbon & GFO continuously? Or do you turn both off periodically? Once I know whether to do the two reactors, one or dual, I'll likely be ordering soon; so may very well be hitting you with a PM soon. :)

andythorntonjr
03/12/2011, 08:04 PM
As an additional question regarding the Dual (and/or the regular BRS reactor): How far 'out' does it really stick? The dimensions are listed as 14" high x 14 W and 5 deep.. the cabinet I'd be putting this has the 14" high (to spare), ~6" deep (5-6), but the 'door' area is only 12" wide. Inside there is more room, but that cuts the depth down to about 4-5. If the top portion is the deepest section (I'm assuming based on looking at pictures of the reactors), I think it "should" manage to fit in the room I have? Might be slanted just slightly to make it, but it'd work. For the dual at least. Two singles and I might be pushing things space wise, but maybe not if it'll tilt just a little. Are the 5" depth and 8.5 (single) - 14" (dual) true dimensions?

Nexenn
03/13/2011, 10:31 AM
Those are the actual dimensions, I just measured them. If anything its slightly deeper. The width of theetal part is only like 10 inches, the 14 comes from the push to connect fittings coming out the sides

And I have had only benefit from running carbon/gfo that I've noticed. Used to have algae outbreaks, but not anymore. My sand bed is bright white and my phosphates are always 0.00-0.02 with a hanna photometer

MaxxdOut
03/15/2011, 02:42 PM
I have heard that the dual BRS reactor can be a pain when the carbon is exahusted. I recall seeing a BRS youtube video advising on the single GFO/Carbon setups.

andythorntonjr
03/15/2011, 02:46 PM
Yeah, I just ordered the single BRS reactors based on potential clogging issues; plus it looks like i have room (and extra pumps) to manage things.

Just have to wait a few days now until everything arrives. XD